C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 engine installation advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 AM
mran
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 engine installation advice

Doing my first engine job for an 1987 (due to broken connecting rod), now about to lift the engine back to the car and asking advise from who have done the job before.

1. Should/can I attach the engine mounts to the block at engine stand and drop the engine with the mounts, and simply stick in the two thru bolts? Or not enough clearance and need to put engine mounts first and the three small bolts after dropping the engine in?

2. Can I fix the pulley at stand, and still have enough clearance to get the engine in? Or need to drop the engine first and then attach the pulley when engine in place?

3. What is the best/right way to install the AIR pipe that goes to catalytic converter? When I removed the engine I actually took the heads off when engine still at car and managed to drop the whole front exhaust without separating the AIR pipe, still all as one piece. Wondering if should cut off the crimp ring from back (cat) or front (check valve), and whether the pipe should be put in place before dropping the engine, or can still stick in either from below (without the check valve) or from top (separated from cat) after engine in place?

thanks

Last edited by mran; 08-01-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes, mate the engine mounts & Full accessories. PRE dropping the engine in the bay!! the AIR pipe that is connected on the CAT. will need extreme care. separating from the elbow. to RE-attach. finalizing the Exhaust. you could cut and sleeve the pipe in the event. you cannot. separate from the CAT's elbow.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 08-01-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Default good luck

good on ya mate! That's quite an undertaking! I'm balking at having to remove the plenum to fix my CSI connection leak.

Good luck man, keep us posted.

Last edited by phat87; 08-01-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 engine installation advise

Quick Reply: 1987 engine installation advise