C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM
mvettewhite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C Problem

I have a 1996 W/Automatic Electronic Climate Control. AC works great when first getting into car when vehicle has not been used for that day. After driving for a half hour or so on very hot days and then shut the vehicle down for awhile, say for about 30 minutes or so and get back in. The inside blower fan come on but not the compressor or radiator fans. When car is driven home and every thing cools down, get back in it the next day, everything is fine again.

Any Ideas? Over charged, under charged Freon possibly/
Old 08-02-2016, 11:32 PM
SELLC
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mvettewhite
I have a 1996 W/Automatic Electronic Climate Control. AC works great when first getting into car when vehicle has not been used for that day. After driving for a half hour or so on very hot days and then shut the vehicle down for awhile, say for about 30 minutes or so and get back in. The inside blower fan come on but not the compressor or radiator fans. When car is driven home and every thing cools down, get back in it the next day, everything is fine again.

Any Ideas? Over charged, under charged Freon possibly/
I think I am having a similar problem with my 1996, except I have found that using defrost/floor, or just the recirculate button the AC works cold all the time.

If I try to switch to dash vents for AC it automatically turns off the AC for some reason, so I described my problem as AC only works in Defrost/Floor. The guys tell me there is a little module under the dash above the gas pedal that is known to have poor vacuum connectors. I haven't pulled mine out yet as I just got the car last week, but it sounds like where I'm going to start anyway.
The following users liked this post:
mvettewhite (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If it is low on refrigerant compressor would cycle rapidly. Codes? there are several a/c related codes. When a/c compressor won't engage; if you jump cycling switch with cotter pin or paper clip will it engage? If not is 12v going to connector?

Last edited by Kevova; 08-03-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Problem

Quick Reply: A/C Problem