C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wondering if 11×17 rear wheels will fit '92 C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM
C4-RL
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if 11×17 rear wheels will fit '92 C4

Hello Corvette Enthusiasts, anybody in the midwest knows that the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit is next week, and I wanted to dress my '92 6 speed for the occasiaon. I purchased new slotted and drilled rotors, ceramic pads, polished and painted the calipers white, and bought Nitto NT-555 Summer Tires to mount on New staggered Grand Sport Replica wheels. When painting the calipers today I noticed the new rear wheels come incredibly close to the inner wheel well. I am wondering if anybody is running Staggered (17×9.5F/17×11R) rims on their C4 and knows of this issue or has solved it with something such as wheel spacers. I was REALLY looking forward to the staggered rims but will exchange them before i mount the tires if I need to. Many thanks for any considerate relpies
Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by C4-RL
When painting the calipers today I noticed the new rear wheels come incredibly close to the inner wheel well.

Many use that wheel/tire combination on the rear - each install is/can be very different and may be different side to side. You need to measure and check each side but you can't check wheel/tire combination without the mounting. If you feel it's "incredibly close" wheel only it's going to diminish even more after the tire side-wall is added.

If you encounter issues a couple mm spacer might help but isn't generally required. Mount the tires, check clearances rotating by hand and rolling in driveway or parking lot, drive it making very tight turns and using the "rumble strip" on the side of the road exerciser the suspension. Remove tire/wheel and inspect for rubs then do what you must.

The rear wheel needs to be a 50mm offset, if a number larger or smaller than 50 then you've reason for concern and you need to STOP!!.
The following users liked this post:
C4-RL (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:58 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm running ZR-1-style wheels with 11x17 on the rear of my '93 and they fit but there is not a lot of clearance. I did have to slightly move the parking brake cable on the driver's side. The car is primarily for autocross use so the rear alignment includes more negative camber than the stock specs. This did provide for a little extra clearance at the outside top of the wheelwell.

My wheels are GM wheels from a '96 Grand Sport and have a 50mm offset. Tires are NITTO NT555 in 315/35-17.

Definitely do a test fit to make sure there won't be any interference!
The following users liked this post:
C4-RL (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 AM
C4-RL
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I'm running ZR-1-style wheels with 11x17 on the rear of my '93 and they fit but there is not a lot of clearance. I did have to slightly move the parking brake cable on the driver's side. The car is primarily for autocross use so the rear alignment includes more negative camber than the stock specs. This did provide for a little extra clearance at the outside top of the wheelwell.

My wheels are GM wheels from a '96 Grand Sport and have a 50mm offset. Tires are NITTO NT555 in 315/35-17.

Definitely do a test fit to make sure there won't be any interference!
I guess the wheel well is not as much in the way as the components that it is protecting, there are some lines behind the wheel that i can almost touch with the bare rim... my only idea is to add a half inch spacer on each side but don't wanna buy an unreliable set. There is such little clearance with the bare rim that I am afraid to mount new tires and be stuck with rims that do not fit! I've only been in the Vette game for about a year so thanks for all the help!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by C4-RL
my only idea is to add a half inch spacer on each side but don't wanna buy an unreliable set.
A 1/2" spacer will use "ALL" of the hub and remove all of the hub-centric features that the OE fit offers. 3 - 5mm if needed max. If you have 50mm wheels there should be no issues.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:46 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

So just to be clear, the OP's rear tires are 315s, right? Because if he is trying to shoehorn 335s onto those 11" wheels then there might be a clearance issue. But yeah, I run 17x11 et50 rims with 315 tires at all four corners of my 1996.

Get notified of new replies

To Wondering if 11×17 rear wheels will fit '92 C4

Quick Reply: Wondering if 11×17 rear wheels will fit '92 C4