C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

noisy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 AM
C-4 owner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy brakes

I have a 89 and whenever you apply the brakes there is a clicking noise.The brakes seem to work ok but its a loud clicking and sometimes when the brakes aren't being used the brakes seem to rattle when going over bumps in the road.I took them apart and it looks like the fit of the pads in the caliper bracket is sloppy.The brake pads are only a few months old but are they undersize?Are the caliper brackets wore out so the pads don't fit snug?Anyone have this sort of thing happen?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:16 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by C-4 owner
I have a 89 and whenever you apply the brakes there is a clicking noise.The brakes seem to work ok but its a loud clicking and sometimes when the brakes aren't being used the brakes seem to rattle when going over bumps in the road.I took them apart and it looks like the fit of the pads in the caliper bracket is sloppy.The brake pads are only a few months old but are they undersize?Are the caliper brackets wore out so the pads don't fit snug?Anyone have this sort of thing happen?
ive never seen or heard of a caliper bracket being worn out.

sounds like you have a pad rattling around. there are little metal sort of holding/retainer things that interface between the braket and the pad. one of THOSE is most like installed backwards or disintegrated.

are you comfortable doing your own brake job? a tube of brake specific lube and maybe a can of brake clean.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 08-27-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:27 AM
C-4 owner
Instructor

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
ive never seen or heard of a caliper bracket being worn out.

sounds like you have a pad rattling around. there are little metal sort of holding/retainer things that interface between the braket and the pad. one of THOSE is most like installed backwards or disintegrated.

are you comfortable doing your own brake job? a tube of brake specific lube and maybe a can of brake clean.
There are no clips in there.I did get a new set of pins that came with 4 anti rattle clips(at least that's what I think they are)but I don't know where they go
Old 08-27-2016, 10:56 AM
C-4 owner
Instructor

There are no clips in there.I did get a new set of pins that came with 4 anti rattle clips(at least that's what I think they are)but I don't know where they go
I installed the rattle clips between the pad and the bottom of the caliper bracket and it fits together nice and snug.........should fix the noises I think.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

I installed the rattle clips between the pad and the bottom of the caliper bracket and it fits together nice and snug.........should fix the noises I think.
you must be working on this real time, good work. Let us know if it fixes the problem, I think it will.

Get notified of new replies

To noisy brakes

Quick Reply: noisy brakes