C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

car cranks but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 PM
ragstoy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cranks but will not start

I had this problem before. I replaced fuel pump and car ran fine.I had the car out the other day and it was running OK I pulled into the drive way and now it will not run. The test procedure says something about the oil pressure switch. The diagram says it is below the distributed. Can it be seen from above, or do I have to look under. Does any one know what it looks like.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rich
Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

What year and did you replace the fuel filter? What is the fuel pressure?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-08-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 PM
ragstoy
Intermediate

The fuel pressure is zero.theyear is1986. I replaced the fuel filter
Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by ragstoy
When you turn the key without cranking do you hear the pump run for two seconds? I believe yours has two oil pressure senders just behind the engine. And you can see them from the top driver side.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-08-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

If it does not run for two seconds it might be your fuel pressure relay.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 PM
ragstoy
Intermediate

Default car cranks but does not run

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
If it does not run for two seconds it might be your fuel pressure relay.
Cannot hear pump running. The test procedure states that if the problem was car cranks but does not run it could be the oil pressure switch. But I cannot seem to locate it.
Thanks
Rich
Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Cannot hear pump running. The test procedure states that if the problem was car cranks but does not run it could be the oil pressure switch. But I cannot seem to locate it.
Thanks
Rich
There are two of them right behind the distributor maybe a bit more to the driver side open the hood and see.

Sorry fuel pump relay.

Might want to look at the connections to the fuel pump since you were just there. And check your fuse.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-08-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Thanks
Rich
It's behind and to the driver's side of the distributor. Look for a connector with two wires coming out of it, one orange and one red. Like so:

There is a plastic latch and locking collar that holds the connector in place. You must unlatch it to remove the connector.

Some cars have a combination oil pressure sender and oil pressure switch in one unit. It looks like this:

Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 AM
ragstoy
Intermediate

Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? When I look at the fuse panel nothing is labeled fuel pump.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:00 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? When I look at the fuse panel nothing is labeled fuel pump.
I believe it's likely marked FP and might be maybe the lower right most next to circuit breakers. By spec likely a 10A.

Do you have the FSM for your car?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-22-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

(my 2-cents, FWIW) -- how did you check fuel pressure, and what is the fuel pressure? if the fuel pressure is truly "zero PSI," gauge, at the fuel rail, start there and work back. one question, and not trying to be a wise-*** or anything, but since you mentioned the fuel filter, I have to ask - are you 110% sure that fuel filter is properly oriented? I've never ran across a scenario where the filter was installed bass-ackwards, but, then again, there's murphy's law. not sure what would happen, but they do put a directional arrow on those things for a reason. maybe the guts of the filter would collapse or something - I don't know - ???

if you cannot read pressure or hear the fuel pump run - key "on" for two seconds, look into the fuel pump relay (assuming the FP fuse is good). if the relay is bad, or has a grounding issue, cranking the engine until oil pressure gets above 4PSI should by-pass the relay and allow the engine to start. chances of both a fuel pump/relay issue (or related), and a oil pressure switch issue at the same time are pretty slim.

start with a proper fuel pressure diagnostic test per the FSM. everything else here is second guessing. the basic "key on - 42 psi - 2 second" thing says a lot.
right now, and I'M second guessing, but it sounds like you have zero fuel pressure - now you have to figure out why. good luck - keep us informed.

edit: as for my filter comments, I need to ask - did you have this issue before or after you replaced the fuel filter? if after, most likely there is no issue - I was just looking down all avenues.

Last edited by Joe C; 09-22-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To car cranks but will not start

Quick Reply: car cranks but will not start