C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

plugs, wires and distributor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default plugs, wires and distributor question

hey everyone

may be a dumb question but... As I am trying to shore up my 1985 with fresh fluids and a tune up - I noticed people seem to change their plug wires when they change plugs - ? does that seem to be the norm for these?

I noticed the plug wires that I have on the car are msd brand -so I am assuming the po changed them out at some point. I was going to change plugs, distributor and rotor (plugs ac r43ts?) is it necessary to swap out the wires also?

also - are the ac plugs r43ts the way to go for the 85?

thanks

Sean
Old 09-24-2016, 05:02 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

My 84 won't look like your vette, but it's been converted to carb, did the spark plugs and wires since who knows how old they were, and were easy and cheap to do, I used the AC Delco replacements for the spark plugs.

My wires looked dirty, but okay, took them out and sure enough (where it couldn't be seen) they were cracked up, one was so bad it was ripped about 6 inches the rubber covering completely ruined, none of it could be seen as it was on the underside of where the wire was ran, if you don't replace them give them a good look over never hurts.
Attached Images  

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 09-24-2016 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sb66 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as the wires are not too old, you should be fine. A good way to check them, is at night. If you have a light show, they are bad. I use e3 plugs on all my cars, and love them. h
sb66 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

(my 2-cents, FWIW) -- some folks say plug wires are good for 100K miles, some say, "if it ain't broke...," but I look at these things from a "time" standpoint. an 85 would be over 30 years old and original plug wires, especially the insulation, most likely have seen hundreds of heat cycles. plug wires are cheap, so why not change them? it may, or may not help, but it certainly won't hurt. if you do not want OE delco, any premium brand will suffice. my personal, aftermarket choice is taylor spiro-pro, 8mm silicone. I usually change them out about every 10 years or so. since you seem to have a quality replacement set, and if they appear to be in good condition, no need to replace them at this point, unless you just want to establish a maintenance baseline.

for plugs, I bought and installed NGK G-power platinum's in my 85 (three set's over the years). I change them out about every 50K miles. don't seem to have ever had any issues.

for the cap and rotor, I've been using ACCEL products now for some 20 years -

Last edited by Joe C; 09-24-2016 at 07:39 PM.
sb66 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:27 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

thanks everyone - I will give them a good going over to make sure, but I am leaning towards a replacement to establish a baseline for all of my regular maintenance type stuff. I was looking at some of the delco sets from ecklers and corvette central - they have packaged all of that together - we'll see - I will check the brands mentioned

thanks

Sean
Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1986early.html

anyone using these?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

OP - I believe that if the wires there now are routed correctly and the correct retainers are used to anchor them I'd save the money.

What are the details printed on the MSD wire? If it's a higher end product I'd certainly consider not tossing them. You don't need "new wires" to establish a maintenance base. You could spend $50 and maybe end up with a LESSER PRODUCT.

Joe C should be able to supply you a couple snapshots of correct routing and retention.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-25-2016 at 08:08 AM.
sb66 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
My 84 won't look like your vette, but it's been converted to carb, did the spark plugs and wires since who knows how old they were, and were easy and cheap to do, I used the AC Delco replacements for the spark plugs.

My wires looked dirty, but okay, took them out and sure enough (where it couldn't be seen) they were cracked up, one was so bad it was ripped about 6 inches the rubber covering completely ruined, none of it could be seen as it was on the underside of where the wire was ran, if you don't replace them give them a good look over never hurts.
what is the hypertech coil - straight replacement or upgrade?-
Old 09-25-2016, 02:03 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - I believe that if the wires there now are routed correctly and the correct retainers are used to anchor them I'd save the money.

What are the details printed on the MSD wire? If it's a higher end product I'd certainly consider not tossing them. You don't need "new wires" to establish a maintenance base. You could spend $50 and maybe end up with a LESSER PRODUCT.

Joe C should be able to supply you a couple snapshots of correct routing and retention.
thanks- I found an old post that he had with a couple of shots of the engine and wire routing.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:04 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

I found some ac delco rapidfire plugs also - has anyone tried these ? if so are they worth the extra $$?

thanks
Sean
Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by sb66
what is the hypertech coil - straight replacement or upgrade?-
Not sure, was there when I get the car, I would assume an upgrade but I have no idea.

Get notified of new replies

To plugs, wires and distributor question

Quick Reply: plugs, wires and distributor question