C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 vert - exhaust question, and can I remove cats

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 PM
DanADaMan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 90 vert - exhaust question, and can I remove cats

I have a new-to-me 90 vert. I think I have original exhaust with the exception of the exhaust tips/ends which replaced the original mufflers. Basically from the block I have two pre-cats (one on each side) which leads to one other cat (or similar looking thing) closer to the rear of the car, and then separate pipes leading out to the tail pipes.

I think one of the pre-cats is bad. I can hear a slight rattling noise, and when I rev the engine I see very small particles of metal (I mean, very small - almost wouldn't see it unless you really look hard and close).

I live in Alberta, where there is no emision testing. So my question is, do I need the pre-cats? Can I get my mechanic to just cut them out and just run pipe to fill the gap? Will then cause any codes (ie. O2 sensor codes)? Will this increase power? Will this give it a meatier sound?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2016, 06:48 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

if you remove the precats it will not through a code for the 02 but when cruising on the highway you may get a intermittent code for the EGR.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...model/corvette
Old 09-25-2016, 07:29 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

replace
check your mufflers too may be blocked/partially filled wiht pieces
Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum!

fwiw, the cat rattle we saw may just be the perforated shroud/shield on the main cat.

your pre cats i think are fine.

and the "jam" your 90vert has is far to high to have any real cat blockage issues.

my advice is not to do anything to the cats in your vert. one issue with gutting cats is your exhaust smell does change, for the worse, and because you have a vert...top down...just not worth it.

post some pics of your ride! it is a very clean original (other than the muffler deletes) example of a well maintained vert.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 vert - exhaust question, and can I remove cats

Quick Reply: 90 vert - exhaust question, and can I remove cats