C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84' C4 to C6 seat swap. PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:56 AM
Robs1988
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

wiring question: i have a C4 and i just picked up a C6 driver seat. the C6 seat just has the 1/2 of the harness that's attached to the seat with it. i would like to use the C6's on-seat switches but i can't figure out how to wire it without the other 1/2 of the harness. if anyone has suggestions that'd be awesome. thank you!

out with the old

and hopefully, in with the new
Old 04-20-2022, 12:43 PM
bgibbens2002
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat height difference

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Well I picked myself up a nice set of C6 Z06 seats from a member on the forum (Thank you sir!) and considering there seems to be a lack of information regarding C4 to C6 seat swaps I decided to take a few pics to help others. (Yes I'm aware it's basically a C4 to C5 seat swap but I'm not swapping in C5 seats am I?) Let's get to it!

My current seats as they sat needing a new cover on the driver side. (Don't mind the red appearing on the center console side piece, my interior used to be red so I used interior paint on all the hard plastic and it has been wearing off for awhile).

First take your seat back and base off of the plastic shell. Lower cushion is held on by a metal bar "loop" that hooks under the plastic seat shell. This has to be pushed backwards to unhook. The back is held on at the top and bottom. You have to compress the foam sideways to unhook a metal bar from a "hook". The openings of the "hooks" are aimed inwards towards the center of the seat so you need to compress one side sideways and pull the seat foam forwards at the same time and then the other bar will come out after. (You cannot see the bars either so it's kind of a pain if you have never done it) Here is the seat with the foam removed. You can see the "hooks" on the top side of the seat bucket.

Now unbolt the seat bucket from the power track. (Or manual track if you are fortunate enough to not have future or current power seat track problems) It's a 13mm socket and there are 4 bolts holding the bucket onto the track.

Now remove the track from the floor. Again using the same 13mm socket to do it. If your lucky like me my busted track only worked in the forward/backward setting so I was able to move the track to get to the front/rear bolts easily. Unplug the electrical harness and remove the track.
Little dirty I know...

Now this part is up to you. There are 2 ways to do this part. Wire directly to the motors or use the C6 seat switch to control the seat and just run power to the C6 seat wiring harness. (My seats were missing the seat harness so I opted to wire directly to the motors which was fine because I can still use my C4 power seat switch) On the bottom of the C6 seat there are 3 motors that control front up/down, rear up/down, and the seat forward and back just like the C4 power track. I cut the pigtail off my busted C4 track and wired the C6 motors to the pigtail so when I put the seat in all I have to do is plug it in. **FYI: I also realized that the wiring is backwards when connecting the red wire on the C4 pigtail to the red wire on the C6 seat motor. (Every switch is backwards, seat forward is backwards, up is down, etc.) I just opted to swap the pins around in the C4 pigtail seeing that it's quite easy. (sorry I don't have a pic of the wiring that I did but it's very simple). Here is a picture of the factory pinning that comes from the seat switch and goes to the plug that the C4 power seat plugs into.

Another item to modify is the studs that are on both sides of the C6 seats. The studs are where the seat belt bolts to in the C6 and considering the C4 has seat belts attached to the chassis you don't need these. (Plus they get in the way) I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut them off. There are 4 total (2 per seat) that need to be cut off. Do a better job that I did on this first cut, I chewed into the seat track a bit and it bothers me...

Now that I vacuumed the carpet we can continue.

You can see the C6 track is the same width as the C4 track but it is longer.

Now finagle the seat into the car (be careful not to scratch the sill trim as I scratched mine bad in a few spots) to get an idea of where the seat will sit. (You will thank yourself now if you decided to wire up the connector before putting the seat in so you can move the seat around and check the mounting positions).
Alright you got the seat into the car to see how you can mount the seat into the car!

The rear seat bolt holes do line up and can be used which is great! I even bolted the seat down in the back to hold it in place and the seat track limits the seat back just the right amount so your not ramming into the part of the body that goes up behind the seat (the waterfall?)

Now here comes another dilemma. Do you drill holes in the floor OR do you create some type of adapter plate the bolts to the existing studs and bolts to the seat's front feet. I opted to just drill holes in the floor as I was nervous that if I got rear ended the mount would just bend and tear/snap the bolt off due to the limited amount of bending strength it might have being 30 years old. So long as you have a decent size plate like a big fender washer under the floor where the new hole is I don't see why it would fail as that's basically all they did from the factory anyways. Here are the front mounts before and after being mounted.

Now all you have to do it tighten the bolts front and back, hook up the seat motor connector if you haven't already and BAM driver side done. The passenger side is a bit easier seeing that mine is manual. I would assume you can do the same procedure for the passenger side as the driver if it's power.

Take the seat/manual seat frame out just like on the driver side.

Now the rear mounts will again work BUT we have another dilemma. The front seat mount closest to the center console is too long and won't sit all the way down and holds the outer front mount off the floor.

My temporary fix for this issue was to cut down the "foot" of the mount a bit so it just rests on the taller height on the bump the foot was hitting. The passenger seat needs a bracket made so that cut down foot can actually mount to the floor but I haven't done one yet. (nobody ever rides in that seat since our newborn arrived so I have time to create a bracket)

Then again I drilled a hole and made another plate for under the floor and bolted the outer foot down to the floor.

And that's it! Enjoy your C6 seats! Don't get hung up on people saying they won't fit, they fit GREAT! they feel right at home in my 84'.

I personally LOVE the way the C6 seats feel compared to the C4 seats.

Plus they look awesome!

(You can also see the gouges/scratches in the sill that I mentioned earlier from taking the seat in and out so be careful!) I would put a towel on the sill if I had to do it over.

Hope you all appreciate this thread! It took forever to type up then proofread! haha
I know this is an old thread, so I’m not sure if you’ll see this or not. I am looking at doing this to my 95 Vette. How much higher is the bottom seat cushion over stock? Did it make the car any easier to get in and out of? It looks like you would sit decently higher with the C6 seats than you would with the stock seats from the pictures, but pictures can be deceiving. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2022, 09:56 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bgibbens2002
I know this is an old thread, so I’m not sure if you’ll see this or not. I am looking at doing this to my 95 Vette. How much higher is the bottom seat cushion over stock? Did it make the car any easier to get in and out of? It looks like you would sit decently higher with the C6 seats than you would with the stock seats from the pictures, but pictures can be deceiving. Thanks!
I'm still around!

I can't recall it making me feel like I was sitting higher but I do run the seat basically in the lowest position it can go. Still it felt the same as the 84' seats. I'm sure they wound up similar in height as I did do some pretty good checking when I got my 84' seats out and compared them to the Z06 seats.

I like how the C6 seats are a little flatter on the bottom than the C4 seats so I personally feel like it's nicer getting in and out of. The side bolster does feel more intrusive when entering but I didn't care about that.

To me it was WELL worth the swap. I'm not a fatass but the C4 seats never seemed to hug me at all. I always felt like I was sitting on the top of the C4 seat and I didn't settle into the seat correctly. The C6 seat fits my frame better and it's more comfortable to me. Absolutely love them.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:03 PM
Roentgen Ray Man
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resurrect and old thread

Are the buttons on the side accessible at all or are they out of reach. Also with the parking break does it rub against the seat?
Old 12-30-2023, 06:42 PM
Robs1988
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Roentgen Ray Man
Are the buttons on the side accessible at all or are they out of reach. Also with the parking break does it rub against the seat?
I used the power seat switches in the center console - not the ones on the seat. But you could. There’s no interference with the ebrake.

all that said, in retrospect, I would NOT do this swap. C4 seats are more laterally supportive that C5 or C6 seats.

Quick Reply: 84' C4 to C6 seat swap. PICS!