C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

upper control arm help

Old 10-29-2016, 12:49 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default upper control arm help

Hey all,
I am replacing lots of suspension goodies on my 90. I put Van steel coil overs front and rear, 32m sway bar front 26 rear, van steel rear toe bar hiems joint kit, poly bushings, new toe rods and ball joints for the front. Should be in good shape once I'm done. BUT along the way I mixed up the upper control arm shims order. any help as to how to get these back to the correct order. Thank you for any info.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by dgantt
Hey all,
I am replacing lots of suspension goodies on my 90. I put Van steel coil overs front and rear, 32m sway bar front 26 rear, van steel rear toe bar hiems joint kit, poly bushings, new toe rods and ball joints for the front. Should be in good shape once I'm done. BUT along the way I mixed up the upper control arm shims order. any help as to how to get these back to the correct order. Thank you for any info.
You could buy/beg/borrow a set of plates and gauges to do a tentative alignment on the floor. I'd think the most important thing for you to do is have a handful of the correct shims required when you take the car for the alignment. Don't count on the shop to have them on the shelf and don't assume you've enough from the original stack.You could just stand the wheel/tire straight up with a shim stack and rely on the shop to arrange. Make sure the control arm washers are positioned correctly. With as many parts as you've redone or changed you should certainly plan on a trailer to the shop I'd think, bring everything to near spec on the alignment machine set it, take it for a spin and maybe do some rumble strips on the shoulders of the highway, return to the alignment machine and finalize the spec. you might actually do the confirmation more than once.

Not knowing what you've got for a shop & equipment maybe you modify the procedure but important I'd think is many of the appropriate shims.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:25 PM
dgantt
Instructor

thanks for the reply, I think Ill just order a few more shims off line hopefully the guys at the tire shop will know how to get her in shape.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:02 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

thanks for the reply, I think Ill just order a few more shims off line hopefully the guys at the tire shop will know how to get her in shape.
Take your shims to a local shop or the shop you intend to use and see if there are some local. I believe that originally a C4 is done with just one shim thickness but it may have various in it OR you may find thicker/thinner combinations locally. Your concern is the proper dimension for the bolts.With what you've done you're not looking for a tire retailer alignment. You need to be prepared for maybe a hit on the wallet.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:04 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Do some research many do not have a clue on the C4.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:14 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Bad, bad, bad. That's what masking tape was invented for, keeping parts together. Like said just take all your shims to the Alinement shop with you. Are you removing the lower control arms? Let us know before you do.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:10 PM
dgantt
Instructor

What is the deal with the lower control arm, there are no shims on it.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:32 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Your right, no shims. The trick is removing the lower arm. The bolt towards the cockpit is difficult to remove.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 AM
dgantt
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up, the leaf spring really put a ton of pressure on the lower control arm and it sucked removing all that. I went with the van steel coil over kit so re installing things went a lot smoother. I messed up while cleaning up and grabbed all my shims up not thinking they had to go back the way they came out. Now I have to try and get caster, camber and toe at least well enough to make it 10 miles down the road to have the pros do it.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:43 AM
dgantt
Instructor

I turned the bolts around when installing the lower so there was plenty of room.

Get notified of new replies

To upper control arm help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upper control arm help