C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

off topic, harley riders, mine wont crank.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default off topic, harley riders, mine wont crank.

Ok, I know, this is a vette forum. I also know, a lot of you guys (and maybe gals) also ride/own Harleys. I am a new owner of a 93 soft tail ( but has been made into a hard tail). I was in the garage a few days ago looking to port match my large tube Eldelbrock manifold( for the vette). I started the bike and let it idle till warmed up.. to keep the battery charged and get all the oily parts re oiled. Turned it off with the key, instead of the switch. Now, when I try to crank it, nothing, not even the head light but do have the rear light bright. battery is new AND charged, WTF? Took the seat off and put my electrical tester in a few places, all seemed ok, no loose wires, ground is in good shape. Where do I go next? If this was happening to my 86 vette I would be all over the problem, but need a pointer when it comes to bikes, thanks.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 11-01-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Last Harleys I had were H & CH iron head Sportsters so you know how long ago that was.

Bikes in general:
Kill switch to run. If the side stand is down & the bike is in gear it will not crank even if the clutch is pulled in. When the side stand is down the trans needs to be in neutral to start.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
ghoastrider1 (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:48 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Harley didn't follow all of the safety nanny stuff like Honda and Suzuki have until very recently so the no crank when side stand is down and clutch pulled or in gear stuff doesn't apply to 99% of all HD bikes. Additionally if said bike has been customized then all bets are off on what the bike has or doesn't have.

Anyway, back on topic. Your bike is probably highly modified and therefore anything I tell you could be inaccurate as things will have been changed from factory. You said there are no lights except for rear tail light. Well there are some areas that could be the issue.

1. First suspect is the main key switch. Test it to make sure you have power coming in and out of the switch. Also check the kill switch for proper operation. On a separate note: Some bikes have been wired with a switch to kill the main headlight so your headlight issue may or may not be related to your given issue depending on what the PO did to your bike.

2. Second suspect is the wiring harness for the switch. Most HD's have a main disconnect plugs that separates the Harness into multiple pieces. Check that these plugs are seated and making contact. If one of these plugs is loose then you can get some pretty weird things happening.

3. Third suspect is the fuse block. Make sure all of the fuses are good. Usually located under the seat near the battery or under the tank. If you find a blown fuse then you need to find out why the fuse blew before you replace it.

Most likely the bike rattled a connect loose somewhere and that probably has started your issues.

Now, a little bit of advice. Never just let your Harley idle and especially not for the purpose of charging the battery. First reason is because the engine is air/oil cooled and it requires air flow to keep itself cooled. This is bad for the heads, pistons, and rings as well as the expected life of the oil. Second reason is these bikes run rich to help keep the engine cool. Idling washes down the cylinders and contaminates the oil with gas. The third reason is that the stator does not make sufficient power at idle to even power the bike and does not charge the battery sufficiently, if at all. Stators do not "start" making excess power until around 1600 RPM.

Last edited by kg4fku; 11-01-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 448 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Harley didn't follow all of the safety nanny stuff like Honda and Suzuki have until very recently so the no crank when side stand is down and clutch pulled or in gear stuff doesn't apply to 99% of all HD bikes. Additionally if said bike has been customized then all bets are off on what the bike has or doesn't have.

Anyway, back on topic. Your bike is probably highly modified and therefore anything I tell you could be inaccurate as things will have been changed from factory. You said there are no lights except for rear tail light. Well there are some areas that could be the issue.

1. First suspect is the main key switch. Test it to make sure you have power coming in and out of the switch. Also check the kill switch for proper operation. On a separate note: Some bikes have been wired with a switch to kill the main headlight so your headlight issue may or may not be related to your given issue depending on what the PO did to your bike.

2. Second suspect is the wiring harness for the switch. Most HD's have a main disconnect plugs that separates the Harness into multiple pieces. Check that these plugs are seated and making contact. If one of these plugs is loose then you can get some pretty weird things happening.

3. Third suspect is the fuse block. Make sure all of the fuses are good. Usually located under the seat near the battery or under the tank. If you find a blown fuse then you need to find out why the fuse blew before you replace it.

Most likely the bike rattled a connect loose somewhere and that probably has started your issues.

Now, a little bit of advice. Never just let your Harley idle and especially not for the purpose of charging the battery. First reason is because the engine is air/oil cooled and it requires air flow to keep itself cooled. This is bad for the heads, pistons, and rings as well as the expected life of the oil. Second reason is these bikes run rich to help keep the engine cool. Idling washes down the cylinders and contaminates the oil with gas. The third reason is that the stator does not make sufficient power at idle to even power the bike and does not charge the battery sufficiently, if at all. Stators do not "start" making excess power until around 1600 RPM.

I had a very Similar thing with my 95 Soft Tail, It turned out to be the main Switch Between the tanks. It was Explained to me by the service Advisor/Parts Guy at my Local dealer that the switch though sealed for weather water does get in. So I bought the Revised Switch pulled the switch out and sure enough one of the larger power Leeds was cooked. when a broke apart the old switch it was Corroded inside making a lot of Resistance I guess.

Which would make sense because when I tried to crank smoke came out from between the tanks.

Last edited by s carter; 11-01-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:13 PM
Phatphil
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ghoast...I just had a similar condition monday morning. I hopped on my 99 Fatboy to go to work, first time in 2 weeks due to bad weather and some vaca away from home. Unplugged battery tender, rolled bike out of garage, turned key, lights came on, hit starter, nothing. Went to work, thought about it, came home and checked ground bolt on battery, just only slightly loose. tightened up firmly, bike has fired every time since. E-z, pzy. Just a thought, hope it's an easy fix for you like mine was.

Phatphil.

Get notified of new replies

To off topic, harley riders, mine wont crank.

Quick Reply: off topic, harley riders, mine wont crank.