C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need quick info for bumper swap 94 to 84

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need quick info for bumper swap 94 to 84

I'm going to pick up a rear bumper from a 94 out of the junkyard tomorrow. I'm going to install this onto my 84. The question I have is do I need the aluminum bumper mounted to the frame or is it the same as the 84? I know I need the bumper cover (of course) and the styrofoam support, but not sure if the aluminum bumper is different or not. Will save me a lot of time if I don't need to get the aluminum bumper but will do it if I will need it.

Is anyone certain if the 94 and 84 use the same aluminum bumper? Thanks
Old 11-02-2016, 08:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Your situation is maybe somewhat different than most questions. There were I believe 2 rear bars that could be purchased from GM to be used on the C4 but how easily is the later components added to an original production bar. Could be very different. The bar was the same for all through very early '93 and then I believe changed mid-production. If you're intending to use the '94 absorber etc then there's a set of instructions maybe for the use of it to the earlier bar.

A '93 FSM may have the instructions and I have a '93 FSM so I'll look. I've certainly never done it.

Good luck.

I'd say "get the bar"!!!! You might want to get the spare tire hardware also. The bolt, bracket etc(rear most), I believe will be different.

Name:  rear impact bar.png
Views: 881
Size:  136.1 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-02-2016 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Radio Joe (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

I'd say "get the bar"!!!! You might want to get the spare tire hardware also. The bolt, bracket etc(rear most), I believe will be different.
Thanks for your feedback- I did grab the bar and it wasnt as time consuming as I thought it would be.

I was able to grab the rear bumper cover, all the tail light housings (Lenses already gone), all the wiring, the rear bar, power antenna (needs new mast) and the door and quart trim all for $175.00

Now I just need to find a decent front bumper!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

I did this about 10 years ago. Was time consuming but it came out nice.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/bumper-swap/

-- Joe
Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio Joe
I'm going to pick up a rear bumper from a 94 out of the junkyard tomorrow. I'm going to install this onto my 84. The question I have is do I need the aluminum bumper mounted to the frame or is it the same as the 84? I know I need the bumper cover (of course) and the styrofoam support, but not sure if the aluminum bumper is different or not. Will save me a lot of time if I don't need to get the aluminum bumper but will do it if I will need it.

Is anyone certain if the 94 and 84 use the same aluminum bumper? Thanks
Hi You will need the foam impact padding and bumper cover and brackets as previously mentioned by others, now while the rear will bolt right up the front wont.
the sides and top all secure ok but not the area the air dam/spoilers bolt to, they are a different shape and an inch or two lower than the 84-87.

You will need the later model 91-96 wheel well front splash guards, 10 years ago there were adapters available have not seen any for many years.

See the picture of the adapter circled below, and drawing of the 84-87 adapter for fitting 91-96 front bumpers.

Last edited by gerardvg; 11-06-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need quick info for bumper swap 94 to 84

Quick Reply: Need quick info for bumper swap 94 to 84