C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bad electrical problem with 94 lt1

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:14 AM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad electrical problem with 94 lt1

Alright everyone back again with some more peculiar issues, just seems like once I fix one thing something else catastrophic happens..

Any who, every thing was great with the car, I was installing my electric water pump , install was great, then on to the wiring. I bought the easy wiring kit with the relay. Before I even tried to tap into any wires I ran into issues. The fuse block that has the fans, headlight motor and air pump. The one right in front of the battery, I went to take off the always hot wire connected to that same fuse block. After I did so I continued on, finding the wire for my signal wire to activate pump. I then went to test if the pump would turn on, before I even put my keys in the car I noticed my dash lights were on. And the volt meter gauge , speedometer, check gauges light ,check engine light were all on. With the key off! I put the key in and nothing , no priming of the fuel pump and wouldn't even try to turn over. This obviously drained the battery down. Had the car hooked up to jumper cables and it just seems like its stuck in the on or acc position. Here's where it gets weird and something to go off of. When I removed that always hot wire from the fuse block , the dash lights shut off and the car acts like normal. Put key in , it primes pump , and then the dash lights turn on like they're supposed too. As soon as I plug that hot wire back in , lights stay on with key off and will no longer prime pump. Either way the car still doesn't turn over Which is very strange. What's odd to me is that I never really messed with any thing besides that fuse block and I unraveled some electrical tape from what I believed to be the fan relays , another spot I was thinking of using for the signal wire.

If any one has had any kind of similar problem or maybe some help on where to start with this. I'm at a loss now and want too light it on fire
Thanks in advance for all the help , you've guys have had some great tips helping me with this thing lately .
​​​
Old 11-06-2016, 11:15 AM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

I can also take pictures of any thing that may help find out what is going on.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Scooter94
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by antonioe202
I can also take pictures of any thing that may help find out what is going on.
Ignition switch bad?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Scooter94
Ignition switch bad?
I thought about that , but every thing seems to go back to normal when I unplug the hot wire from the fuse box that I mentioned , it just won't turn over. As soon as I plug that hot wire back in, the lights will kick on and almost seems like its stuck in the run or acc position. Only when that hot wire is plugged in. By the way vats has been deleted so I have no issues with that at all.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:15 PM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Well i got the Car to fire up today. I didnt really figure out the issue but. This morning the battery was dead from the issue it had. So I hooked up my jumper cables and as soon as
I made contact. The lights turned on immediately as well as what sounded like the headlight motor and fuel pump priming. All with out the keys in ignition. I then cycled the key a few times to no avail. Then in frustration I slammed the turn signal down to see if those worked too without keys in it and boom, the lights all shut off just like a car without the keys in it should do lol. Then put key back in ignition and viola, back to normal like nothing ever happened. Although the car still wouldnt turn over, my next step for that was to begin trouble shooting the start enable relays and perhaps the clutch switch. Checked the fuse for clutch switch. Looked okay, put it back in and tried to start and once again voila, car turned over and started. Very peculiar issues that were resolved. What im thinking was when I removed the hot wire without unplugging the battery I must have shorted something and also that the battery was basically dead, so that never helps.

Any way on to the install of the Electric Water pump. I followed my instructions this time completing the install with negative terminal un-plugged, the signal wire goes to the pink wire coming out of the fan relay, I believe its the primary one, not too sure. It was black rather than grey because the grey also had pink wire too. 12v constant is straight to the battery rather than the hot wire on the fuse box. Im going to avoid that lol. Ground is to the battery and pump ground is on the frame rail in front of it. Started the car and felt the pump seemed to be vibrating like its on, Ill find out tomorrow when I let the car run for a while bleeding out air in the coolant. I have a feeling I am not out of the woods yet so I will return back tomorrow to report what happens

Thanks
Tony.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:11 PM
antonioe202
Heel & Toe

Well as it turns out, more complication. The Pump is not turning on with ignition on. I rechecked my wiring, changed the ground location twice. I also tried connecting the pump straight to the battery and grounding the ground wire to the battery as well with no luck either. Would this mean I was sent a bad pump? I thought I read somewhere that the pump needed a relay in order to turn on period. So I tried different signal wires, both fan pink wires, fuel pump. Every time I would tap into a new signal location I would here the relay click. Is it worth trying to get another relay and throw it on there? Id hate to have take everything back off for no reason.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2016, 11:05 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by antonioe202
Well as it turns out, more complication. The Pump is not turning on with ignition on. I rechecked my wiring, changed the ground location twice. I also tried connecting the pump straight to the battery and grounding the ground wire to the battery as well with no luck either. Would this mean I was sent a bad pump? I thought I read somewhere that the pump needed a relay in order to turn on period. So I tried different signal wires, both fan pink wires, fuel pump. Every time I would tap into a new signal location I would here the relay click. Is it worth trying to get another relay and throw it on there? Id hate to have take everything back off for no reason.
Thanks

sorry i cant be of much help here. keep trying and somebody will chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad electrical problem with 94 lt1

Quick Reply: Bad electrical problem with 94 lt1