C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette fuel injector problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:26 PM
junkyard dog
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 corvette fuel injector problem

I have a 1985 Corvette that has problem with the fuel injector . It started when it wouldn't start and I smelled gas. I checked my oil dip stick and I had gas in the oil. I then removed all the spark plugs and found gas in all the cylinder. I replaced all the fuel injectors and I still have the problem. I pulled all the electrical connectors from the injector and found that I turn on the key I have 12 volts to all the injector causing them to spray gas into all the cylinder. The only thing I can think it is the ECM. What do you think
Old 11-11-2016, 01:35 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Might be your FPR pull the vacumm line off it and look for fuel.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:43 PM
junkyard dog
6th Gear

Yes I have checked FPR vacuum for gas and I had none. The gas is coming from the fuel injectors having a steady 12 volt causing them to stay open all the time.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

The injectors should have a constant +12volts, the other side of the injectors are pulsed to ground.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:42 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Stick a noid light on them and see.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:09 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Injector issues

Could it be something to do with the 9th injector (cold start injector) leaking or running too much? Try unplugging the harness connector to the 9th injector and see what happens. You might check its power while you are at it.

If it is not the injectors, and not the FPR the last place gas can come from is the cold start system, am I right?

I did have an injector go bad where it leaked down the fuel pressure in minutes. That particular injector (#6) tested out fine voltage wise and the noid light indicated that all was well. I just never got gasoline in the oil from a bad injector.

I wish you the very best in your pursuit!

Last edited by ctmccloskey; 11-11-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-11-2016, 06:31 PM
junkyard dog
6th Gear

I have checked the cold start injector and it was great but the when you put a meter across the two leads on each injector I have 12 volts which is cause the injector to pump gas into the engine. The ECM is not suppose to be grounded causing the 12 volts.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:23 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default The way the injectors work

Hello again "Junkyard Dog"
What was said above by JimLentz sounds right. Most computers do not handle voltages and current inside them but instead when they want to make an item work, they "Pull to Ground".
Knowing this helps explain the operation of the injector. One side of the harness has a constant Battery + voltage (12 Vdc). Now when your computer wants to make the injector squirt fuel it supplies a GROUND signal (0 Vdc) which completes the circuit and makes the injector operate and release gasoline out of the nozzle. When the ECM wants to fire the injector it will supply the ground which complete the circuit.

The cold start injector is the one on the drivers side underneath the upper intake manifold. It too might have 12 volts to one terminal and the other would go to ground when the ECM tells it to inject the extra fuel needed for a cold start. This injector should only stay "on" for a short time if at all. It uses a temperature sensor on the engine to tell the ECM if the cold start injector is needed. The cold start injector is like the choke on your carburetor, once the engine is warm you do not need the cold start injector to start the engine. If the cold start injector is running all the time the engine would have way too much fuel, smell like gas and be very difficult to start. A good analogy would be like trying to start your car with the choke on when it was warmed up already, it usually floods the car with excess gas.

The cold start injector uses its own temperature sending unit that could be bad, the injector could have failed but whatever is going on in your car sounds a lot like this scenario to me. Find the cold start injector and unplug it. It has the same type harness as an injector has, by unplugging it you will stop it from receiving a signal to dump more fuel into your engine.

One last thing, I believe that by holding the pedal to the floor during cranking the computer is supposed to clear any flooding inside the engine during a start up. You might give that a try as well. Once running change that oil!

Good luck!

Last edited by ctmccloskey; 11-12-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Hit the wrong button.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM
junkyard dog
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Hello again "Junkyard Dog"
What was said above by JimLentz sounds about right. Most computers do not handle voltages inside them but instead when they want to make an item work they "Pull to Ground".
Knowing this helps explain the operation of the injector. One side of the harness has a constant Battery + voltage (12 Vdc). Now when your computer wants to make the injector work it supplies a GROUND
I think the ECM is providing a ground to the injector all the time instead of pulsing so I think it has to bee the ECM gone bad.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:26 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The noid light will tell or just a bad connection on your temp sender. Cheaper than a ECM

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette fuel injector problem

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette fuel injector problem