C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Race Car Build - roadrace, endurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:24 PM
CaptDDale
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very awesome build. Anyway to get more pictures on you cage build?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:09 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

update from team zrnone?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

In this photo you show the lake pipes mocked up. Does that bracket get welded to the bottom of the frame? Nice work.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
update from team zrnone?
If you look at the OP's profile, the last activity was "Last Activity: 04-29-2019 09:21 PM".

He hasn't been on the site for 4 months. Hopefully he has/had notifications turned on and will answer.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 AM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Sorry I haven’t been on the forum for a while. To answer the question above (I know it is late) yes the bracket is welded to the frame. The pipes are super solid and worked well. This ended up being a good solution.

We are slowly nudging along and making progress on our performance each outing. This year with the new points ratings we are getting closer and have far less penalty laps. We are at 5 now... last weekend we finished 3rd in class and 30th out of 70 (not bad for only completing 11 out of 14 hrs). At one point we were up to 20th but the clutch MC failed again.

This year we stepped up 17x11 rear wheels and 315’s I think this really helped our grip. Our fastest lap time fell from 2:40 down to 2:36. This was a super competitive time for the weekend. We are getting there but I don’t think we will ever win, we have no strategy with pits and are not that refined. We just want to run fast, pass cars and finish a race. We have 2 out of 3 right now...
Old 09-24-2019, 09:42 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

great to hear an update and i did see zrnone lapping while i watched on video. saw that u were 25th overall and then started to fade in the dark. couldnt tell if it was a mech or if it was just slower in the dark.

your 5 penalty laps....what are they from?

and i take it the 4+3 has geld up dine?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

We had clutch issues again., at around 8:00 and 8:30. We went to the trailer, bleed the MC and went back out at 10:00 for 2 laps and we had to call it quits.

We have penalties because of our mods. Oil pan, acusump, trans swap, alum rad, and aftermarket distributor. Are they all required? That is good question, but we are not going backwards to get the points back. For our combo I think they are all required. You might try to keep 4+3 but no OD, high revs harder on motor. Maybe save points on Rad but not worth risk.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! Got your reply over at champ forum.

Im very enthused about participating in races next year wether that be in a car of mine or someone elses. Might sound strange but mostly i want to race a vette!!

I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply and well done on your weekend race. Always improving!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:58 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,305 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply and well done on your weekend race. Always improving!

Ryan, all this sound familiar?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Mostmint
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
Sorry I haven’t been on the forum for a while. To answer the question above (I know it is late) yes the bracket is welded to the frame. The pipes are super solid and worked well. This ended up being a good solution.

We are slowly nudging along and making progress on our performance each outing. This year with the new points ratings we are getting closer and have far less penalty laps. We are at 5 now... last weekend we finished 3rd in class and 30th out of 70 (not bad for only completing 11 out of 14 hrs). At one point we were up to 20th but the clutch MC failed again.

This year we stepped up 17x11 rear wheels and 315’s I think this really helped our grip. Our fastest lap time fell from 2:40 down to 2:36. This was a super competitive time for the weekend. We are getting there but I don’t think we will ever win, we have no strategy with pits and are not that refined. We just want to run fast, pass cars and finish a race. We have 2 out of 3 right now...
If you get to where you want strategy with pits message me. We are pretty well organized. Depending on our schedule maybe we can work something out.

Watching your speed lap times gives gives me some hope these C4s can be competitive in ChampCar. My build still has a long way to go
Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

At one point we were up to 20th but the clutch MC failed again.

Hope you guys have been able to make some covid progress on your build.

so would the clutch m/c fail due to heat? what brand were you buying? my experience has only been with exedy and they were horrible. i wonder if its possible to send the factory unit out for a sleeved rebuild or something.

hows the build going?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
Why you have been flamed I can't understand. I think it's a great idea. I have owned a C5 and thought it was a great car. I have had a mid year and several C-4's. My favorite body styles are the Mid Year and the C-4. That is not to say I did not like the other generations. My 99 was the one I like to drive because of the engineering. Each has their pluses and minuses. I certainly would not knock someones dream to build an awesome car of any kind.
……………. Bob don't worry about it. I have been in your garage and saw the c-4 your putting the LS engine in.Its a nice garage and the work on your c4 looks first rate.... This build looks first rate too and a lot of fun., I shall keep an eye out for futher post on this car.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Mostmint
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job on the 19th place finish overall at Daytona last weekend. Was glad to see the car ran the entire race so those slave cylinder issues have been resolved. Big field with 77 cars running for the overall win
The following users liked this post:
ChumpVette (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

We had clutch issues again., at around 8:00 and 8:30. We went to the trailer, bleed the MC and went back out at 10:00 for 2 laps and we had to call it quits.

We have penalties because of our mods. Oil pan, acusump, trans swap, alum rad, and aftermarket distributor. Are they all required? That is good question, but we are not going backwards to get the points back. For our combo I think they are all required. You might try to keep 4+3 but no OD, high revs harder on motor. Maybe save points on Rad but not worth risk.

What oil pan are you running? We have the canton high capacity and run an oil cooler;system takes a out 9 quarts. Yet to run into an issue of losing oil pressure.

Edit; Also, have you considered running a smaller tire? We have 17x11s with 275 and we still struggle to get enough heat into them. Couldnt imagine trying to heat 315s

Last edited by RandomTask; 07-09-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:00 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Just came across this thread.. I am with the Laps of Honor C4 vette team. We skipped Daytona and went to Charlotte (Innovation Performance Technologies considers Charlotte their home track). Our car is EC, with an LS3 swap, but still a long way to go to be a winner. It's fast, can run at the top for 3-4 hours but challenged on full enduros. Piece by piece we upgrade..
Sebring NYE we ran out of brakes, so we remedied that for Charlotte. At Charlotte we were running 6th and I had a 2nd fastest time of day early on but the rear leaf spring broke (right side) on lap 90. It was damn hot, track temp was 130 degrees.

My question is how the heck do you get wheel bearings to last??? We're planning VIR, Road America and Sebring yet this year..

As mentioned, fuel is an issue. We get 5.5mpg at worst, 7mpg at best depending on track and race pace. But it's a ton of fun and can hang with anything on track. And we're just a small group of amateurs with a church group for pit crew so we love heckling the teams that have factory sponsorship and pro drivers.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:30 PM
CaptDDale
Instructor

Hey Mikey I don't know what they are using but I have been told the SFK BR930024 and BR930186 are the way to go if you want them to last. I haven't tried them myself yet as the ones on my car are sill good (finger crossed they stay that way), but they will be what I buy when the time comes.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:05 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,305 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey
My question is how the heck do you get wheel bearings to last??? We're planning VIR, Road America and Sebring yet this year..
If you are using new, you need to season or burn in the bearings with normal street driving. Usually a couple of heat cycles should do it. Also, try to find good used OEM bearings.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:40 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I got the expensive rebuildable ones.

I've also bought the cheapos and just put some miles on them.

They seem to last just as long.

Quick Reply: C4 Race Car Build - roadrace, endurance