C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Corvette Horn Wire Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:39 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Corvette Horn Wire Question

Hello, I have a 1984 Corvette that I upgraded to the thicker 1986 steering wheel. I got the thicker 1986 and later steering wheel off of eBay. Replacing the wheel went smoothly. Here's my question: The short yellow horn button wire with the spring and the black plastic sleeve and the little nub the you push down and twist and the nub locks in the steering wheel. I can't for the life of me get the little black plastic nub that locks in the black plastic tube in the steering wheel to lock in place. I push it down, twist it and the little black plastic nub pops out of the tube in the steering wheel and will not lock into place. I was concerned that the nubs were worn on my horn button wire, but the Dorman replacement looks identical. I'm starting to fear that there is something wrong with slot in the steering wheel for the horn button wire to lock into. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Any suggestions as to fixing it correctly? Thank you!
Attached Images  

Last edited by crossfireclint; 11-22-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Yes, I had the same problem. I decided that glueing the tube into the steering wheel wouldn't cause any problems, but I'm sure some will disagree. A drop of epoxy solved my problem. A small clamp on the yellow wire at the top of the tube while the epoxy was curing kept the tube in the right place.

I'd recommend a little dab of dielectric grease on the slider button before you glue it together. I did mine many years ago, and my horn works fine!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:31 PM
crossfireclint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Button Wire

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Yes, I had the same problem. I decided that glueing the tube into the steering wheel wouldn't cause any problems, but I'm sure some will disagree. A drop of epoxy solved my problem. A small clamp on the yellow wire at the top of the tube while the epoxy was curing kept the tube in the right place.

I'd recommend a little dab of dielectric grease on the slider button before you glue it together. I did mine many years ago, and my horn works fine!

Thank you!!! That sounds like a plan to me!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette Horn Wire Question

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette Horn Wire Question