C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fan activation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:03 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan activation

Ok, so here's a question that may or not be lame. To activate the fans on the computer driven 95 camaro engine, the sensor in the water pump needs to read 226 degrees. Can you activate it by shorting (connecting) the wires running to the sensor? I'm wanting to test it and getting the sensor to 226 is not feasable. Any ideas as to how to test it? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

No. That sensor is a thermistor, not a switch. Are you testing the sensor,or the ECM? Is the engine running in a car or are you testing it out before you pull it?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

If you short the CTS wire to ground it will simulate a very high temperature. That should get your fan(s) to come on.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:43 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Using a "jumper" on the CTS/ECT connector is thought to indicate to the ECM/PCM that the temp is 130°C (286°F) OR greater so if you felt the cooling fans/relays/wiring etc were correct you would expect fan operation I'd think.

Do you have any sort of scanner or PC application for use as a scanner? You need to confirm in some fashion that it's the value the PCM sees.

For an application similar to yours it might seem that maybe switched operation of the fans might be more practical. You're using what for a radiator and what for cooling fans?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-30-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

radiator and cooling fans out of a camaro as well. no scanner. what is the CTS connector? I'm wanting to make sure the fans are wired correctly so I can test them but i cant get the engine warm enough. With the goofy ground signal from the ECM i want to test my relay wiring. If it were mine, id put a switch in, but the guy im doing it for wants it automatic.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by matthewsorrells
what is the CTS connector?
CTS connector is the 2-wire connector at the CTS/ECT sensor in the pump.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

ok thats what i was thinking. short which one to ground? both wires coming out of the sensor are black and they were cut before I got the engine, so I'm not sure which wires from the harness should go to which wire on the CTS plug (does it matter?)
Old 11-30-2016, 03:22 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

ok thats what i was thinking. short which one to ground? both wires coming out of the sensor are black and they were cut before I got the engine, so I'm not sure which wires from the harness should go to which wire on the CTS plug (does it matter?)
Jumper them - neither one directly to ground!!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:12 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

ok. i jumpered either of them to ground and nothing happened with the key on or off. I have the relays wired like this (found at lt1swap.com). One relay per fan. Is this correct? It would appear it is not, but please point me in the right direciton. thanks

Last edited by matthewsorrells; 11-30-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

ok. i jumpered either of them to ground and nothing happened with the key on or off. I have the relays wired like this (found at lt1swap.com). One relay per fan. Is this correct? It would appear it is not, but please point me in the right direciton. thanks
You "jumper" the terminals of the connector with a single length of wire - NEITHER to ground - you want the ECM to do the grounding to activate the circuit for fans. Your fan wiring schematic I'm not familiar with for the F-body. I believe you get your hands on some sort of software to use with a PC or a scanner to confirm PCM communication with all of the related sensors to make the car and accessories RUN.

I believe for your install you've attempted to duplicate the GM/OE wiring so maybe just try to duplicate the way the original was. I believe it would have been like one of these in this link. Which? If you dismantled the donor car maybe you know. If the donor is still available maybe you look at the car. Is there a GM label on either fan motor that might ID the motor?

http://lt1swap.com/pictures/100_1778.jpg

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-30-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

dang man. now I'm really confused. I THINK you suggested i - in effect - just touch the wires together.

The donor car is an hour away and likely no longer in existence. It was a 95 firebird ws1.

I'm about to just get a kit or a 200 degree switch to replace the temp sensor with and just rewire it. Didnt think i was reinventing the light bulb. I think the original had 3 relays, but for the life of me I cant understand why it wouldnt be done with 2. From what I'm reading many people do it with 2 but i cant seem to make it work.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

dang man. now I'm really confused.
Dang, man! You asked for help and WVZR-1 is trying to help you. Listen to him. Don't try to re-invent stuff. It would help if you'd read his posts more carefully!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

A 100 ohm resistor inserted into the sensor plug will trick the engine computer to think its about 240* and will bring on the fans to high. 3 relays allow the cooling system to have several capacity steps instead of just on-off. It keeps the engine temperature swings smaller.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:06 PM
GaryDoug
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Stop the madness. All you have to do is jumper pins 5 and 6 of the DLC (datalink connector). With the ignition on and engine not running, that will turn on both fans and several other devices.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Stop the madness. All you have to do is jumper pins 5 and 6 of the DLC (datalink connector). With the ignition on and engine not running, that will turn on both fans and several other devices.
Providing the OP has used the later 16 pin DLC & has the diagnostic port (FSE) in his wiring scheme and has corresponding cooling fans pinned appropriately to the PCM. Much would depend upon the way the OP has done the wiring.

OP - did you use the DLC from the Camaro and have you got D20 wired to PIN 6 of the DLC?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-01-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 AM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

WVZR-1, I meant no disrespect. I do appreciate all the help, and I guess I came across wrong. Sorry about that. It does have the factory harness from a 95 firebird. There is no datalink connector but just the harness. I'm sorry I dont really know the numbers of the wires, I figured it out based on the wiring harness plug numbers like c100, c105, and such. I got pins from radio shack and plugged those into the original harness so I wouldnt destroy the harness. If it was my vehicle, I would have cut the harness open and chased wires, but the feller I'm doing it for wanted to retain the harness if he ever wanted to sell the engine I guess.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:37 PM
matthewsorrells
Intermediate

I ended up just buying a $10 fan switch that comes on at 212 degrees and I had it wired in 10 minutes to working condition. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Thanks for your help!

Get notified of new replies

To fan activation

Quick Reply: fan activation