C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Restrictor/support? INSIDE expansion tank heater hose inlet, picture!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:12 AM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Restrictor/support? INSIDE expansion tank heater hose inlet, picture!

Restrictor? or does it strengthen plastic tube?? The copper tube inside inlet (lower) on the expansion tank. Anyone have dimensions or where to buy, generic copper tubing? ? I'm rehabbing the entire cooling system, this looks like an insignificant part but it's missing and I'm covering all the bases.

95 base

pic from ebay listing, only thing I can find on it
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:11 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That tube helps to stiffen the plastic tube but it also slightly extends inside the tank. Coolant flows into the tank from that fitting.

You may want to try softly tapping the brass fitting back into the plastic tube so that it's flush with the end of the tube.

FWIW, I just had to replace that tank on my '93. Got it at Amazon for about $43 delivered. What I got was a brand new OEM tank that even had the correct AC Delco part number on the box, the GM part number molded on the tank, and the manufacturer name on it.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

The insert is missing, the pic is from ebay, I need to know how to get another one, generic copper tubing (diameter x length?)or shop?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 05:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Do you have a way of measuring the inside diameter of the plastic nipple? Maybe a digital caliper?

The fit of the brass tube should be snug enough that it doesn't slip. The nipple is hard plastic so the rubber hose end over the nipple and a hose clamp won't provide enough compression to hold the brass tube in place.

The tube length would be the ldistance from the end of the plastic nipple to the inside of the tank where the hole appears. Then add about 1/2" to that.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 AM
Lazy Tom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Epoxy

Get notified of new replies

To Restrictor/support? INSIDE expansion tank heater hose inlet, picture!

Quick Reply: Restrictor/support? INSIDE expansion tank heater hose inlet, picture!