C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Speaker wiring issue SMOKING

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:34 PM
lonewolf144
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Speaker wiring issue SMOKING

Hey everyone! So I bought an '84 as a project, and I have run up on a bit of an issue that I can't seen to figure out. The speakers aren't working (well one is) and It seems like the speakers are at different voltages or something because my test light never glows the same on any of the wires. I know something must be touching behind the radio because there was some minor smoking behind the right rear and right front speakers (and whenever I turn on the radio I smell something burning) I don't know if this helps, but the left rear speaker works for some reason haha
Thanks guys!
here's a video off me testing the wires:

Last edited by lonewolf144; 12-01-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added the link
Old 12-01-2016, 07:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You might try asking your question in the Audio/Electronics section of the CF. Lots of experienced audio guys over there.

Does the car have the Bose system? Speakers in the Bose system are driven by their own amps.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 PM
lonewolf144
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
You might try asking your question in the Audio/Electronics section of the CF. Lots of experienced audio guys over there.

Does the car have the Bose system? Speakers in the Bose system are driven by their own amps.
Yea it has the original Bose System... Should I try replacing the amps?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf144
It seems like the speakers are at different voltages or something because my test light never glows the same on any of the wires.
Those are signal wires from the head unit and a voltage test light should be varying a lot, with each channel getting a different signal. I really don't think that will tell you much, from an audio standpoint, other than there is a varying voltage, as you saw. You could swap inputs from each of the other speaker leads to the 'good' speaker and see if it sounds okay.

Smoke and electronics is not a good combo! Quite a few either rebuild (capacitors, possibly more) the amps, or send them for that service. Mine are in a cabinet, for 20 years or so!

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Speaker wiring issue SMOKING

Quick Reply: 1984 Speaker wiring issue SMOKING