C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tranny Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tranny Leak

Hey Guys,

I have been batting my head trying to find a tranny leak for the past 3 weeks. Last night after last week of replacing the gasket and it still leaking, I decided to replace the Pan and Gasket cause the pan looked bent a bit where it was leaking from. So last night I replaced it put everything back together filled the tranny and left it overnight, I come into the garbage I see its STILL leaking. After every expletive word I could think of, I took apart the crossbars (Its a vert), and looked carefully and found where its coming from, but yet I cant find any reference in the haynes/chilton or even on the net as to what this is called, so I figured who better to ask then you guys.

Picture attached.
Attached Images  

Last edited by AngelDeath; 12-04-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:06 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

109 Views and no replies? I cant believe no one knows what this is called? Its an Auto Tranny.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:27 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
109 Views and no replies? I cant believe no one knows what this is called? Its an Auto Tranny.
Not sure if you are looking for the latin name or not, but I would call it the transmission electrical connection socket. Google is a smart dude.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Is not clear from that pic.. Is there fluid spilling out from solenoid? Check o-ring if it has one
Old 12-04-2016, 05:40 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Here, I did it for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/700R4-CASE-E...-/251790352386
The following users liked this post:
AngelDeath (12-05-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 05:41 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Updated the photo of where its leaking from.

Arbee, I just found that just before I came back to look at the post, found it by accident after doing a search for 700r4 parts, but still wasnt sure till you mentioned it.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:42 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

probably has an oring, or you could put some hylomar around it and re inserit it. not sure if you need to pull the pan again to get at it. never seen a leak come from there.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:39 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
probably has an oring, or you could put some hylomar around it and re inserit it. not sure if you need to pull the pan again to get at it. never seen a leak come from there.
Viking,

I have been trying to find this leak for a year, everyone said it was one thing or another, and never this. I followed the leak from the front of the pan and to this location on the pan, when I shined the light I saw this area red and streaking down to the pan which then travels toward the front.

From the video I just found on you tube by shear accident about upgrading the tranny internal lockup kit, it appears I will have to drop the pan and drain the fluid again. To pull this connector you have to depress the three tabs from inside the tranny after you pull the torque lockup connector. So basically I have to tear it down AGAIN.

The only thing now is I dont know if this is a three prong or a single prong connector. Looking for the part it seems there are two kinds when I'm looking it up based on year, make & model. So before I can order this I'm going to have to pull this out to make sure.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i feel your aggrivation. i had to do the same thing on my first c4. same with the coolant. wasted a heap of money on fluids. then te trans full on blew up so i had to replace it anyway.

you will be satisfied with the leak repair.

if u keep going like this u might as well get yourself a max jax lift like me lol.

could you reply back with weather or not the part has an oring?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

i feel your aggrivation. i had to do the same thing on my first c4. same with the coolant. wasted a heap of money on fluids. then te trans full on blew up so i had to replace it anyway.

you will be satisfied with the leak repair.

if u keep going like this u might as well get yourself a max jax lift like me lol.

could you reply back with weather or not the part has an oring?
Viking, the only good from this is that I do have a 4 post lift so I'm not on my back on the floor in the garage, so there is a plus on that note

I plan on re-using the tranny fluid since I just bought the 7qts and it hasnt even been used yet, so no reason to dump it, I have a pan under the tranny catching the fluid and then I have a 3 gal water container to dump it into after running it through a fine mesh filter so nothing gets into the holding container.

As for the O-Ring, I will let you know once I pull this either Monday Afternoon, or Tuesday (Going to be raining here for the next 3 days), but from all the info and pictures that I have viewed, it seems there IS an O-ring.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Viking, the only good from this is that I do have a 4 post lift so I'm not on my back on the floor in the garage, so there is a plus on that note

I plan on re-using the tranny fluid since I just bought the 7qts and it hasnt even been used yet, so no reason to dump it, I have a pan under the tranny catching the fluid and then I have a 3 gal water container to dump it into after running it through a fine mesh filter so nothing gets into the holding container.

As for the O-Ring, I will let you know once I pull this either Monday Afternoon, or Tuesday (Going to be raining here for the next 3 days), but from all the info and pictures that I have viewed, it seems there IS an O-ring.
oh well then i dont feel so bad for you!!! electric drill with nut driver to remove and quick job!

how many bolts on the xbrace?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:25 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

oh well then i dont feel so bad for you!!! electric drill with nut driver to remove and quick job!

how many bolts on the xbrace?
Tools wise I got just about everything, Electric Drill, Impact Drill, Breaker Bar, Flex Rod, Torque wrench.

As for the XBrace, mine has 10 to each brace, 4 in the front, two in the middle and 4 in the back.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Well I pulled it off and its a 3 prong, this is what it looks like, its so bad that the three tabs that are suppose to be pushed in to get it out broke off just touching it.

Its so frail that the plug that connects to this connector, the clip that holds it onto this broke off as well, so I have to get the TCC as well.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I pulled it off and its a 3 prong, this is what it looks like, its so bad that the three tabs that are suppose to be pushed in to get it out broke off just touching it.

Its so frail that the plug that connects to this connector, the clip that holds it onto this broke off as well, so I have to get the TCC as well.

right on. good to see it was obviously failing once you zeroed in on it. now u can park under it without it dripping onto the hood below.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:55 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

That would never happen, I got 3 drip trays with my lift. so nothing ever hits the DD car underneath. Already ordered the two parts, wont be here till the end of the week, just hope this finally is it and I can turn my focus on to the next vette maintenance on the C5 & C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny Leak

Quick Reply: Tranny Leak