C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Proform valve cover guys: need a valve cover that lets the wiper motor fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:51 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Proform valve cover guys: need a valve cover that lets the wiper motor fit

I used a cheap set of old AFT tall valve covers just to get me by at first but a big drawback was not being able to mount a windshield wiper motor. I removed the rubber bumpers off the mounting feet of the motor case and I was still not able to get the motor to clear. So I'm looking at a set of pro form valve covers and wondering if the windshield wiper motor will clear:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/prof...FdgBgQodzsQLmA

Thoughts? They would cover AFR 195 heads with Crane Gold 1:6 roller rockers, so it would have to clear those AND allow the wiper motor to fit. Always wanted a pair of these since Dr Huxtable put some on his 396. If these will work, how does the paint hold up? Really wanted a red pair for some extra "pop" underhood.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

http://www.joby.se/corvette/mods/200..._installation/ this way maybe
Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

No story is without a happy ending: kinda. I ended up going with a set of Chevy Orange proforms and said screw it to the wiper motor fitment, at first. Once I had the covers torqued down, I started checking the local parts yard for smaller replacement motors. Found a mini motor from a Nissan Xterra and a Chevy Astro van. They would've did the trick but what a pain to make a new bracket and redo the wiring. Both wiper motors ran off a stalk activated switch. After some searching for wiring diagrams online with no success, i got a little frustrated.

I ended up taking the original wiper motor, cutting the feet off to get it snug enough to the firewall. There's enough space inside the motor casing to safely drill two 1/4'' holes away from moving parts. I used some allen head bolts so there's no interference with the large gear. An extra hole was drilled on an outside flange of the casing and I had three mounting points. Matched it up to the plate behind the firewall and drilled new holes through it and the firewall. All this done, the motor fits and the cover clears the rear of the valve cover by about 1/4''.

Not sure if the firewall dimensions changed in later year cars but it didn't matter if I had the valve cover on or off, the wiper motor would not fit with the circuit board cover installed. Would barely slide into place without the cover installed but then there was not room to get the cover onto the motor. Even though the wiper motor moved the drive arm closer to the windshield, it all still clears when operating.

I said "kinda" for a happy ending because I think the cam inside the circuit board was not positioned right when I installed the cover. I'll figure it out later, just glad I don't have to rely on Rain X for my "wipers".
Old 02-15-2018, 04:39 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 480 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hope this helps....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...per-motor.html

Get notified of new replies

To Proform valve cover guys: need a valve cover that lets the wiper motor fit

Quick Reply: Proform valve cover guys: need a valve cover that lets the wiper motor fit