C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 AM
RobbyH
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight Issue

Need some help with a headlight issue on my 89. Noticed last night when I was driving it home from the exhaust shop that my high beam indicator glowed slightly even with the low beams on. I got out and checked the lights and the left headlight was very dim. I checked the headlight plug and I have 12.3V on the high beam lead but only 4.85V on the low beam side. I was initially thinking bad ground but if that were the case I would think it would show across both leads ?? If I unplug the left side connector, the faintly glowing high beam indicator goes out but works properly when on high beam. Thoughts?

Thanks

Robby
Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would look at connections and grounds maybe a fuseable link or bad battery connection or battery itself.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I would think you start with just a confirmation of the TAN and LT GREEN at the connector. Disconnect both LH/RH and with your DMM, VM you want appropriate values at TAN when dimmer on LOW and appropriate values at LT GREEN with dimmer on HIGH. You check both of these with the FOG LIGHT switch in the OFF position. That confirms there's no issues HL switch, dimmer and wiring to the front of car. If you have errors or issues then an issue is isolated.

To check the lamps and grounds I believe it's maybe important to know what lamps are used and how the FOGS are wired. Are the lamps basic sealed beams with incandescent standard FOGS or has either/both been modified or changed. An '89 I believe has the FOGS grounded through the HI filament so if this was bypassed to have "on demand" FOGS then the diagnostics change.

The "first-responder" mentioned fusible links, battery connections or battery - those are just a WAG I'd say. There's no fusible link and you were driving the car so ...........................
Old 12-23-2016, 02:55 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I remember this being a known issues with the lamps at Gorden Killebrews school, it has to due with the fog/headlamp connectors being old corroded and green.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Issue

Quick Reply: Headlight Issue