C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cooling fan questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by FrostyMountain
I had hoped this wasnt as confusing an issue as it is. The 85 seems to be a bit of an anomoly. Corvette Central sells a cooling mod kit that they say goes on at 200degrees and off at 185. Has anyone had experience with this. I checked their online tech guide for this, but its wiring instructions seem to say that the switch between cylinder 1 & 2 operate the fan, which for the 85 is not true. Anyway has anyone any experience or opinion with their mod kit. Thanks to all who respond, i learn a little every day. I warn you, my next projevt is R&R of the fuel delivery system from the pump forward to injectors, wish me luck
It isn't or it certainly shouldn't be "confusing".

You don't need to purchase anyone's kit, if the ECM is properly controlling the radiator fan then that should be good. If you'd like to control the AUX FAN you pick the switch from the 3 I've mentioned and "buy locally". That gives you the opportunity to see if there's actually a reference temp stamped on the element. If it doesn't suit you then you get them to exchange it. Any local jobber should be able to use those 3 numbers as a reference. All use the same "recessed pin" connector.

BUY LOCAL !!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-03-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:05 PM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good, I agree, Thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Corvette central i believe sells the switches in various thermal capabilities, the one i bought from them also came with a connector with dual wires.

The second wire i ran to another relay for an aux fan.

I have a 160 thermostat, and i believe my swith was in the 170 or 180 range.
last summer i also added a two core radiator, i can keep the car really close to that range when on the freeway, however hot summer days the car likes to hang in the 190 range with ac on.

Last year i also changed my ecm out for an ebl flash, that ecm has provisions for controlling the fans.
This year i plan on making use of that feature...

Where I'm trying to go with this, aim your fan control in the 200 range or your fans will always be on.
The following users liked this post:
FrostyMountain (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
FrostyMountain
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I think ill contact Corvette Central and ask them just that about 200 on. What confused me is CC has a tech paper showing how to wire their fan modification, and it shows the switch between cylinder 1&2 as the switch for the aux fan. On an 85 with the aux fan option that switch goes to guage temp, switch between 7&8 goes to the Auxilary fan, and the sensor in front of the engine goes to ecm to turn on the main fan. I just want to be sure I put their 200 degree switch in the right place. my 85 doesnt have much ability to flash the ecm(I dont think)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

My car is an 84, and it's on the passenger side head between 6-8.
The following users liked this post:
FrostyMountain (01-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Cooling fan questions