C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AFR Heads Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default AFR Heads Upgrade

Hi I just picked up a 93 bone stock coupe auto and have a set of AFR180 heads from my parted out Camaro, also plan on a cam upgrade. anyone have 180's 55cc on their LT1.. how much gain did you get?

Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on the cam used and exhaust set-up. The 180 heads and a 503 cam was a torque monster for me. That was with LTs and no cats. I was running 12.3-12.5

Another option would be to send the AFRs to Lloyd and have them ported. I sent mine off and had them ported to 210cc. I also installed a larger custom cam. Now I'm running 11.5s. The heads picked up 45cfm on the intake and 35cfm on the exhaust. The car is a beast now on the stock short block.

If you will be keeping the heads at 180cc, the 503 cam would be a great street cam. You will need better springs because it will be very close when talking about lift tolerances, especially with 1.6s. If you have the heads ported, a larger cam can be used to make the most out of the extra flow.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack
Depends on the cam used and exhaust set-up. The 180 heads and a 503 cam was a torque monster for me. That was with LTs and no cats. I was running 12.3-12.5

Another option would be to send the AFRs to Lloyd and have them ported. I sent mine off and had them ported to 210cc. I also installed a larger custom cam. Now I'm running 11.5s. The heads picked up 45cfm on the intake and 35cfm on the exhaust. The car is a beast now on the stock short block.

If you will be keeping the heads at 180cc, the 503 cam would be a great street cam. You will need better springs because it will be very close when talking about lift tolerances, especially with 1.6s. If you have the heads ported, a larger cam can be used to make the most out of the extra flow.
Thanks for reply. I am going to keep heads as is, I pulled off my Camaro which I was running 11.6 with a hot cam on a 383 which was not the best setup. I bought the car that way. I'm not necessarily looking to go a particular time this go round, just a decent street car with a nice sounding Idle. anything in 12's will suit me fine.
Left Lane
Old 01-03-2017, 11:06 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKMAMBA
Thanks for reply. I am going to keep heads as is, I pulled off my Camaro which I was running 11.6 with a hot cam on a 383 which was not the best setup. I bought the car that way. I'm not necessarily looking to go a particular time this go round, just a decent street car with a nice sounding Idle. anything in 12's will suit me fine.
Left Lane
https://youtu.be/xl3fO_MIP0s
Nice! I wish I could get out of the hole like that. Launching a C4 can be a bit tricky. A solid axle makes it look too easy. Something else I forgot to mention. You will want a gear and TC swap asap. The auto gears in these are only 2.59 unless you have the optional which was 3.07. Either way, not the greatest.

As for sound, this is my car with the 503 cam:

Get notified of new replies

To AFR Heads Upgrade

Quick Reply: AFR Heads Upgrade