C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans help 84 with 93 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 PM
teamchevy24c4
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans help 84 with 93 700r4

i have a 1984 c4 that needs a trans. i bought a refurbished 7004r from LKQ and they gave me a trans out of a 1993 corvette and as i was switching over the sensors i realized these newer trans have the aux valve body. can i still run this trans with the aux valve body? if not can i still run it without the aux valve body and transfer the valve body from the old one and what do i have to do to make sure that works out okay? and will the valve bodies match up if i switch them?

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Your '84 has this connector at the transmission:

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/p...nector-pigtail

The '93 transmission I believe would have a connector in the transmission that is very different and would be expecting this connector to fit - only Corvette & F-body I believe.

You do NOT want to/can NOT swap anything from the '84 into the '93. For now just confirm the connector "square 3 wire" on the '84 and that the transmission has the "round 5 wire" receptacle. If that transmission isn't out of a '92 or '93 it wouldn't have the "round 5 wire".

I believe that you can just buy the mating connector and accomplish what's needed. I believe I've notes on this somewhere. I'll look and maybe user "arbee" will stop by and mention the requirement and if it can be done.

This GM kit might accomplish what you need. GM# 24502513. It's sold by Amazon, Summit and many others. It should be everything required and maybe even with instructions (if GM original). Many probably do the kit in the after-market and the instructions may or may not be included.

Here's an Amazon link to the kit. If you're not rushed maybe just see your GM dealer.

https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Per.../dp/B019XB691U

I can't find my notes but I'll continue to look. Depending upon your talent you could just buy a normally closed switch for 4th, the 5-round connector, a few terminals and some wire.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-08-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Your '84 has this connector at the transmission:

The '93 transmission I believe would have a connector in the transmission that is very different and would be expecting this connector to fit - only Corvette & F-body I believe.

You do NOT want to/can NOT swap anything from the '84 into the '93. For now just confirm the connector "square 3 wire" on the '84 and that the transmission has the "round 5 wire" receptacle. If that transmission isn't out of a '92 or '93 it wouldn't have the "round 5 wire".

I believe that you can just buy the mating connector and accomplish what's needed. I believe I've notes on this somewhere. I'll look and maybe user "arbee" will stop by and mention the requirement and if it can be done.

This GM kit might accomplish what you need. GM# 24502513. It's sold by Amazon, Summit and many others. It should be everything required and maybe even with instructions (if GM original). Many probably do the kit in the after-market and the instructions may or may not be included.

Here's an Amazon link to the kit. If you're not rushed maybe just see your GM dealer.

https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Per.../dp/B019XB691U

I can't find my notes but I'll continue to look. Depending upon your talent you could just buy a normally closed switch for 4th, the 5-round connector, a few terminals and some wire.
I agree he can NOT swap any 1984 valve body parts into the '93. I have no experience "retrofitting" as he describes but I see no reason why the tranny itself cannot be used. Someone else may correct. If the OP has the skills to follow a schematic, I would recommend finding the CORRECT schematic for both transmissions and compare. As you stated, the different connectors are readily available. Different models had different schematics. I am looking at my ATSG guide book now and it shows different hookups for a '93 700r4 depending on the model. I do not have a pre 1987 ATSG guide for comparison. Some research on the OP's part will have to be done.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arbee
I agree he can NOT swap any 1984 valve body parts into the '93. I have no experience "retrofitting" as he describes but I see no reason why the tranny itself cannot be used. Someone else may correct. If the OP has the skills to follow a schematic, I would recommend finding the CORRECT schematic for both transmissions and compare. As you stated, the different connectors are readily available. Different models had different schematics. I am looking at my ATSG guide book now and it shows different hookups for a '93 700r4 depending on the model. I do not have a pre 1987 ATSG guide for comparison. Some research on the OP's part will have to be done.

I've certainly no "hands on" but I'd think wiring swap maybe like this and is the 4th switch actually required?

Name:  TCC 5-round to 3-square.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  70.7 KB

OP - who is doing the install? You or a shop?

This switch + the 5-round connector maybe and rewire. I've bought from WIT for my 4T65e but never anything else. I'd maybe call WIT and ask if they've got the 5-round connector and with this switch could you accomplish what's needed.

https://www.wittrans.com/search?part=D54411b

Confirm with a local shop whose done it or actually understands for sure.

hey "arbee" - since the OP didn't have an AUX - valve body maybe your ATSG has sufficient info? AUX valve body '87+.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-08-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:18 PM
teamchevy24c4
Navigator

I've certainly no "hands on" but I'd think wiring swap maybe like this and is the 4th switch actually required?

Attachment 48051967

OP - who is doing the install? You or

This switch + the 5-round connector maybe and rewire. I've bought from WIT for my 4T65e but never anything else. I'd maybe call WIT and ask if they've got the 5-round connector and with this switch could you accomplish what's needed.

https://www.wittrans.com/search?part=D54411b

Confirm with a local shop whose done it or actually understands for sure.

hey "arbee" - since the OP didn't have an AUX - valve body maybe your ATSG has sufficient info? AUX valve body '87+.
yeah I'm doing the installation myself. I'm doing it in a dealership shop though. I pulled this out on Saturday and there were no techs there to help me that's why I posted for you guys.

So basically I can just swap the connectors and be fine? And the other wires that connect in different spots on the valve body than the 84 will be fine as well as the aux valve body?
Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

No helpful information here, but if you get a chance, can i get a better picture of your wiring in the 84 valve body?

My 84 has both switches but I'm missing the wiring for the 3rd gear lockup solenoid.

​​​​​​​Maybe when your done with the 84 transmission, maybe we could work something out for the wiring harness?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by teamchevy24c4
yeah I'm doing the installation myself. I'm doing it in a dealership shop though. I pulled this out on Saturday and there were no techs there to help me that's why I posted for you guys.

So basically I can just swap the connectors and be fine? And the other wires that connect in different spots on the valve body than the 84 will be fine as well as the aux valve body?
I've no idea exactly what you really need because your '84 has NO AUX, and maybe the kit is actually meant for the use of the "kit" in an AUX VB trans. An older trans tech might likely be able to sort this easily for you. Your images appear to me to be "borrowed" or you're not actually working on a Corvette because I see a trans-mount intended for a cross member in your '84 snapshot and the '93 has an '09 date on it.

I've shown you the 2 different connectors, 3-square and the 5-round so the rest is actually up to you.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM
teamchevy24c4
Navigator

I've no idea exactly what you really need because your '84 has NO AUX, and maybe the kit is actually meant for the use of the "kit" in an AUX VB trans. An older trans tech might likely be able to sort this easily for you. Your images appear to me to be "borrowed" or you're not actually working on a Corvette because I see a trans-mount intended for a cross member in your '84 snapshot and the '93 has an '09 date on it.

I've shown you the 2 different connectors, 3-square and the 5-round so the rest is actually up to you.
yeah I don't have pictures of the actual transmissions I'm working with but these pictures were close enough to show what I'm talking about
Old 01-08-2017, 04:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

yeah I don't have pictures of the actual transmissions I'm working with but these pictures were close enough to show what I'm talking about
There ain't none of them that "are close enough" - if you don't understand the wiring scheme of what ever your using it's very difficult to get "good answers".
Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM
teamchevy24c4
Navigator

There ain't none of them that "are close enough" - if you don't understand the wiring scheme of what ever your using it's very difficult to get "good answers".
the only thing different in the 93 pic is another sensor near the pressure control solenoid
Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

the only thing different in the 93 pic is another sensor near the pressure control solenoid
As I stated in my previous post, my ATSG guide shows two different hookups for the '93 depending on model. Get the complete code from the transmission(93) and I will have a looksee.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
teamchevy24c4
Navigator

Originally Posted by arbee
As I stated in my previous post, my ATSG guide shows two different hookups for the '93 depending on model. Get the complete code from the transmission(93) and I will have a looksee.
okay so I got 8679707 off of the side of the trans. Is that the code you need?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

#arbee" would like to have I think the either 3YDM or 3YCM you would find on the pan rail on the right side. Regardless get the information from there

Use this link and get the information where it mentions being located. Does it have the 5-pin round connector?

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/automati...ase-codes.html
Old 01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
teamchevy24c4
Navigator

#arbee" would like to have I think the either 3YDM or 3YCM you would find on the pan rail on the right side. Regardless get the information from there

Use this link and get the information where it mentions being located. Does it have the 5-pin round connector?

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/automati...ase-codes.html
yeah it does
Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

okay so I got 8679707 off of the side of the trans. Is that the code you need?
Nope. Should have some letters plus numbers. ID is located just above the pan on the back right corner. If yours is indeed a 1993, it should start with a #3 followed by three letters.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans help 84 with 93 700r4

Quick Reply: Trans help 84 with 93 700r4