C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No injection into cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No injection into cylinders

I'm getting good fuel pressure on rail car starts but stalls , i have power to both wires going to top of injectors when the key is on is that correct? For this car 1985 c4
Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Osgood
I'm getting good fuel pressure on rail car starts but stalls , i have power to both wires going to top of injectors when the key is on is that correct? For this car 1985 c4
Sort of. The injectors are supplied with 12 volts through the INJ1 and INJ2 fuses. If the injectors are not being pulsed there will also be 12 volts on the other wire. The ECM applies ground to the light blue and light green wires to pulse the injectors.

You need to have DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor to the ECM so it can pulse the injectors. This is needed so the ECM can synchronize the pulsing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine. If the fuel pump relay is being energized then the DRPs are present.
The following users liked this post:
Todd Osgood (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

OK that makes sense now how do I figure out how to get the en ignition control module to feed the ECM that information or do I just need a new ignition control module
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

Please someone help me !
And thank you . is anyone able to get to the bottom of this problem.?

Last edited by Todd Osgood; 02-07-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Sort of. The injectors are supplied with 12 volts through the INJ1 and INJ2 fuses. If the injectors are not being pulsed there will also be 12 volts on the other wire. The ECM applies ground to the light blue and light green wires to pulse the injectors.

You need to have DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor to the ECM so it can pulse the injectors. This is needed so the ECM can synchronize the pulsing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine. If the fuel pump relay is being energized then the DRPs are present.
Thank u does this mean that I have a bad ICM or a bad ECM?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Are your fuses good? Go borrow a noid light from the parts store and let us know. They can test the ICM as well. I would pull and clean the connection to the dizzy first.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-07-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

What is the dizzy? The ICM?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

OK I got u the distributor
Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

You need to back up and start with the basics. Your car stalls out. A motor needs spark and fuel to run. Pull a plug or two after it stalls out. Is the plug wet with fuel? If so, you have fuel and no spark. If the plug is dry, see if you get spark when you crank. This will get you on the right track instead of throwing the kitchen sink at the problem. If you can get a hold of the service manual, there are flow charts that will guide you systematically to solutions to problems.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Are they the stock MelTech injectors? If so I highly recommend replacing them with rebuilt Bosch IIIs from FIC.

What has you convinced it's a lack of fuel causing the stall? Stall at idle? At higher revs?
Old 02-07-2017, 03:46 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like the cold start injector and nothing else. Check the injectors for ohms to see if you are overloading the drivers. They should be 14 ohms +-2 if you have some that are low leave them unplugged and see if it runs on the cylinders that are ok.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

Okay the distributor connections are clean the ICM is good and the Noid light still don't pulse .
So so does that bring it down to a new ECM or my Vats system is not letting the injectors fire?
Because I just put a new steering column in the vehicle and I'm not sure if the new barrel and pellet key match the Vats system is that where I should go first? Because the starter is already bypassed.
Thank you in advance , Todd.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Sounds like the cold start injector and nothing else. Check the injectors for ohms to see if you are overloading the drivers. They should be 14 ohms +-2 if you have some that are low leave them unplugged and see if it runs on the cylinders that are ok.
​​​​

Okay will check the ohms and will report back as soon as possible and thank you for your input
Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

'85s don't have VATS, so don't worry about any of that.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Have you checked the two injector fuses yet? If good crank it and have someone smack the ECM at the same time.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Todd Osgood
Cruising

OK I'll try that and let u know in just a few mins
Thanks ,
Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver85
Are they the stock MelTech injectors? If so I highly recommend replacing them with rebuilt Bosch IIIs from FIC.

What has you convinced it's a lack of fuel causing the stall? Stall at idle? At higher revs?
THey are old enough to warrant a rebuild if they are not Multecs and if they are, toss them.

Does it stall at idle or at higher revs like you asked. Also, does it restart? Is it a random stall or does it happen after a certain number of minutes? Any way to reproduce the stall?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:10 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Okay the distributor connections are clean the ICM is good and the Noid light still don't pulse .
So so does that bring it down to a new ECM or my Vats system is not letting the injectors fire?
Because I just put a new steering column in the vehicle and I'm not sure if the new barrel and pellet key match the Vats system is that where I should go first? Because the starter is already bypassed.
Thank you in advance , Todd.
If you don't have a flashing noid light that is your issue. The injectors are NOT being pulsed by the ECM. This could be cause by many things.

ECM has to have inputs from distributor to supply the pulse.
The ECM could also be shutting down the injectors if it sees too much currently flow if one or many of the injectors are shorted or starting to short. Does it flash at all during cranking? Does it flash at first and then stop?

You REALLY need a service manual and a multi-meter. Its NOT an option if you want an accurate diagnosis.

Clean connections-OK, but your dealing with electronic components. Do you have power, ground, signals where you are supposed to? Are the signals good?

There is a lot of bad info and half truths in this thread.

The bottom line is if you don't have injector pulse, you need to fix that first. Does it flash on BOTH banks or just one or what?

Get notified of new replies

To No injection into cylinders

Quick Reply: No injection into cylinders