C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'86 Corvette switching valve...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default '86 Corvette switching valve...

This is for an '86. With the help of some forum members, I discovered the solenoid on my switching valve was substituted with an EGR solenoid. In the first picture, you'll see the substitute hanging off of the switching valve. I've found what might be a suitable replacement, and this is picture 2. Picture 3 shows a part number, though I am not sure if this part number is for the solenoid, or the case. I'm also not sure if this solenoid is off the control valve, or the switching valve. Maybe they are the same solenoid. Does anyone know? Will this work for me? Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

There are two A.I.R. valves. One has a black connector and the other has a gray connector. I don't think the color matters (the electrons don't care what color the connector is). The key takeaway here is that the connectors are keyed differently and don't interchange.

You can't buy the components separately. That said, it is possible to unlatch the connector and transfer it to a different valve (it snaps into place).

When one of my valves broke I bought one for another car from eBay and removed the connector and solenoid and transferred it to my valve.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 02-11-2017 at 01:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
There are two A.I.R. valves. One has a black connector and the other has a gray connector. I don't think the color matters (the electrons don't care what color the connector is). The key takeaway here is that the connectors are keyed differently and don't interchange.

You can't buy the components separately. That said, it is possible to unlatch the connector and transfer it to a different valve (it snaps into place).

When one of my valves broke I bought one for another car from eBay and removed the connector and solenoid and transferred it to my valve.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the opportunity to buy that solenoid has passed. May I ask what car your replacement came from? This is kind of what I was thinking to do a while back ago, but gave up since it seemed such a vehicle specific part.

Also, you helped me a while back ago. The car currently has an EGR solenoid (The one mounted under the waterneck) in place of the correct part. Should this function okay if I find a way to mount it?

Again...thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To '86 Corvette switching valve...

Quick Reply: '86 Corvette switching valve...