C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reverse Lights 1985

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Vettehead- nj
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Lights 1985

So the other day I noticed my driver's side reverse light was out. Went out and got the bulbs and they come in a two pack…figured since i was changing the one i might as well change the other while i have the plate off. Now the driver's side works and the passenger's side doesn't. I tried all four light bulbs in the driver's side and they all work and they all don't work in the passenger side socket. I tried reversing them because i heard that the bulbs can be put in wrong. Can anyone think of something I'm missing? I have a tester ( the old fashion lightbulb socket with a white and black wire) but I can't figure out how to even test the socket with that. Any thoughts would be appreciated and pictures would be wonderful.

Thanks

1985 Z51 Automatic
Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettehead- nj
So the other day I noticed my driver's side reverse light was out. Went out and got the bulbs and they come in a two pack…figured since i was changing the one i might as well change the other while i have the plate off. Now the driver's side works and the passenger's side doesn't. I tried all four light bulbs in the driver's side and they all work and they all don't work in the passenger side socket. I tried reversing them because i heard that the bulbs can be put in wrong. Can anyone think of something I'm missing? I have a tester ( the old fashion lightbulb socket with a white and black wire) but I can't figure out how to even test the socket with that. Any thoughts would be appreciated and pictures would be wonderful.

Thanks

1985 Z51 Automatic
Hi
Check the socket for corrosion, scrape the contacts clean and you should be ok.

The contacts in the socket should have a little spring tension, make sure they make contact with the globe.
Check with a multi meter if you have 12 volts and a ground.
The following users liked this post:
Vettehead- nj (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Vettehead- nj
Cruising

Thanks for the advice. I took another look at it and cleaned it out. It does not appear to be springing back like you mentioned. I am thinking when i removed the first bulb maybe the spring broke or is just shot from age. Anyone know how to change the socket?
Old 02-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

You need to lubricate the inside of the socket with some di-electric grease. This should be available at any auto parts store. Work a little of this grease into the socket by pushing the center contact up and down. Wipe a little onto the base of the light bulb. I really doubt that you need to replace the socket!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I had this issue with my 84 when i bought it.

I found the po had replaced the bulb, but it had the same issue.

I ended up totally disassembling the bulb socket to clean out the 30 year old bulb grease, flushed with spirits, then put it back together with fresh bulb grease.

You can most likely do the same thing with out the disassembly, just flush the socket and work it carefully with a pick or small screwdriver until it's clean.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Vettehead- nj
Cruising

Default You guys are great.

You we're all right. Flushed it out with contact cleaner and now all is well. Thank you all.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse Lights 1985

Quick Reply: Reverse Lights 1985