C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

If I can't fix it, I will be getting rid of it

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 AM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds like you have done a lot of things to this car. Live data logging would be the next best diagnostic tool. But, if you wanted to try one last thing before data logging or swapping out the dizzy I would suggest swapping in another coil and make sure that the coil grounds are clean and good as well as the main car grounds. I would also check the wire harness leading up to the dizzy and make sure that there are no pinches or bare wire showing. Coils, thin wire insulation, and grounds can all cause all sorts of weird things to happen.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

bet youre right
A wires with some broken strands pinched wire, goofy connection etc can cause this
Shame to get it all sorted except that sell it only to hear a week later it was some simple thing he just hadnt found yet.

Last edited by cv67; 02-27-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
It sounds like you have done a lot of things to this car. Live data logging would be the next best diagnostic tool. But, if you wanted to try one last thing before data logging or swapping out the dizzy I would suggest swapping in another coil and make sure that the coil grounds are clean and good as well as the main car grounds. I would also check the wire harness leading up to the dizzy and make sure that there are no pinches or bare wire showing. Coils, thin wire insulation, and grounds can all cause all sorts of weird things to happen.
I replaced coil, but I will check over wires just incase I missed something The one I really to double check is the main engine ground down by oil filter. Do not notice misfire at higher rpm or under load

thanks for your response

Mike
Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
i have been thinking distributor myself myself..... only 53000 miles
Been throught his sort of thing a few times. Usually, a time out helps me, plus the encouragement of pals!

Why not follow your feel and check or replace the distr.? Tiiming chain and all the rest of the multi-replacements make way less sense to me, especially at such low mikes, when a crack or carbon trace inside is quite likely. I am personally acquainted with the iffy quality of Chinese replacement parts, so some duplication of effort...
All the advanced checks will NEVER replace the simple basics, which are every bit as important to diagnose an issue as data, etc. are.

Best of luck with what ails ya, and the Vette!

mike
Old 02-27-2017, 12:14 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Video of the rough idle?

Does it miss under heavy load too?
i don't notice misfire under load. I can do video, but it might be hard to notice it. I can feel misfire thru steering wheel and seat of car even though I upped idle speed from factory setting to 675 rpms. It's a constant miss but not any pattern I can nail down
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Did you ever put the LT1 throttle body on?
How is your IAC?

When they are running "right" they are fairly smooth but not like silk due to the banks firing one side at a time
Sure its a miss and not a motor mount or something?
Remember when they were new guys would complain about it

Hope you find it soon sounds like you have the ability just be patient
Once ironed out they are pretty good cars.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Did you ever put the LT1 throttle body on?
How is your IAC?

When they are running "right" they are fairly smooth but not like silk due to the banks firing one side at a time
Sure its a miss and not a motor mount or something?
Remember when they were new guys would complain about it

Hope you find it soon sounds like you have the ability just be patient
Once ironed out they are pretty good cars.

im sure it's a miss. I have checked engine mounts. I ordered brand new 89 in 1989. Been so long ago I can't remember how it idled. I was still living in Alaska so I could only drive it so much. I was much younger and insurance was killing me so I sold it with on 1500 miles on it and bought 4-wheel drive pick up. It's was metallic red and she was a looker
Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 PM
mlm0
Drifting

im sure it's a miss. I have checked engine mounts. I ordered brand new 89 in 1989. Been so long ago I can't remember how it idled. I was still living in Alaska so I could only drive it so much. I was much younger and insurance was killing me so I sold it with on 1500 miles on it and bought 4-wheel drive pick up. It's was metallic red and she was a looker
im making a list of all suggestions so I can go right down the list checking off things to check as soon as I get a break. If I'm able to fix this car because of someone on this forum, I'm buying Everyone a beer or Their choice of drink.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:45 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Does it run better/worse cold in open loop? Which injectors do you have? Has anything been changed in the tune? Do you have software/ALDL cable to view or record data?

I just sent you a PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Answered by pm
Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

mlm0 I appreciate the offer of a beer but I expect that everyone here will agree that fixing your car and making you a happy C4 owner again will be thanks enough. I don't think that we are going to let you get rid of that beautiful car. Owning an old car is a joy and a challenge. You will be successful if you keep at it and this forum will be there the whole way.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:58 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Good luck man. If the distributor is easy to get to, take it out and inspect it. I feel the same as you, except I'm having a hard starting problem when sitting for a few minutes/hours.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

mlmo i remember when you did your head gaskets.

sounds spark related, or, fuel delivery related. i think i read you replaced injectors with no change.

it could be electrical/fuel related in the harness. i had a wire in my injector harness coming loose and it did this until i found it after it came all the way out and the car was running on 7 cyls. i discovered one wire missing out of the injector harness plug on cyl 3 right at the plug. i peeled back the rubber boot and there was only one wire! it was discovered using the stethescope. i could hear that it was different sounding than the rest of the injectors. im sure if i had done this excercise while it was coming loose, i would have heard the odd miss.

the other suggestion i saw was using the timing light. "check your timing" (point it at something) and keep watching until you find the cylinder that is missing. if it is in the dizzy, it will show up this way.

the other thing it could be is the ESC, electronic spark module. aka "knock module". a bad knock sensor is only part of the system when checking for knock related issues.
check out agent 86's scan on it here: http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/El...%20Control.pdf

then there is the components of the dizzy. there is a lot of stuff in the dizzy and it could be any of them. thinking ignition control module, capacitor, pickup coil, main coil. i had a major miss on my 87 that got worse and worse and then i finally took of the cap of the dizzy and it was melted inside. the spark was gapping from the coil nubbin to the point. the strap that was supposed to be contacting the nubbin was gone (found it mangled) and the spark arched all the way from the underside of the coil to the point!!

i am really doubting anything related to an actual plug or injector as im guessing that you have replaced them all. but im guessing its an electrical signal issue.

i've been there with crap that is hard to solve. all i can say is keep going, keep your chin up.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 02-27-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
mlmo i remember when you did your head gaskets.

sounds spark related, or, fuel delivery related. i think i read you replaced injectors with no change.

it could be electrical/fuel related in the harness. i had a wire in my injector harness coming loose and it did this
until i found it after it came all the way out and the car was running on 7 cyls. i discovered one wire missing out of the injector harness plug on cyl 3 right at the plug. i peeled back the rubber boot and there was only one wire! it was discovered using the stethescope. i could hear that it was different sounding than the rest of the injectors. im sure if i had done this excercise while it was coming loose, i would have heard the odd miss.

the other suggestion i saw was using the timing light. "check your timing" (point it at something) and keep watching until you find the cylinder that is missing. if it is in the dizzy, it will show up this way.

the other thing it could be is the ESC, electronic spark module. aka "knock module". a bad knock sensor is only part of the system when checking for knock related issues.
check out agent 86's scan on it here: http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/El...%20Control.pdf

then there is the components of the dizzy. there is a lot of stuff in the dizzy and it could be any of them. thinking ignition control module, capacitor, pickup coil, main coil. i had a major miss on my 87 that got worse and worse and then i finally took of the cap of the dizzy and it was melted inside. the spark was gapping from the coil nubbin to the point. the strap that was supposed to be contacting the nubbin was gone (found it mangled) and the spark arched all the way from the underside of the coil to the point!!

i am really doubting anything related to an actual plug or injector as im guessing that you have replaced them all. but im guessing its an electrical signal issue.

i've been there with crap that is hard to solve. all i can say is keep going, keep your chin up.
Thanks guys. I am getting some really good input to try. I am making a list of things suggested that I have not done.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:31 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Thanks guys. I am getting some really good input to try. I am making a list of things suggested that I have not done.

Guys, today I hooked up timing light, disconnect esc plug, and checked timing. Timing was right on. Mark did not move around. When I increased rpm, the mark would advance forward, but I could still see mark and it held steady. I also hooked timing light to each plug wire and none of them seemed out of whack when compared to each other, but not sure if I would notice it if misfire is so small. I rented set of injector noid lights and will check injector for firing voltage tomorrow

just going down the list of things suggested to try by this forum

Mike
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I also hooked timing light to each plug wire and none of them seemed out of whack when compared to each other, but not sure if I would notice it if misfire is so small.
Was the miss still present when you were going from plug, to plug?

Can you throw up a video of the stumble? I'm having a real hard time visualizing the miss as you keep going down your list.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:45 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Was the miss still present when you were going from plug, to plug?

Can you throw up a video of the stumble? I'm having a real hard time visualizing the miss as you keep going down your list.
i tried video, but you can't tell there is a miss from video. You really have to be behind the wheel in the seat to feel the miss. I can stand by engine and notice it because I have been working on it so long. No change when I went from wire to wire with timing light

Get notified of new replies

To If I can't fix it, I will be getting rid of it

Old 03-01-2017, 05:14 AM
wikdwizard
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Power balance test......unplug one injector at a time and see what happens to see if you can pinpoint one cyl causing less RPM drop than the others.

How consistent is your vacuum signal? A broken valvespring will cause your rough idle and a consistently inconsistent vacuum reading.

Last edited by wikdwizard; 03-01-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by wikdwizard
Power balance test......
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Originally Posted by wikdwizard
Power balance test......unplug one injector at a time and see what happens to see if you can pinpoint one cyl causing less RPM drop than the others.

How consistent is your vacuum signal? A broken valvespring will cause your rough idle and a consistently inconsistent vacuum reading.
thanks, I will try that test tomorrow. Just had valve jop done when head gasket blew, so valve spring should not be broken. This same miss has been there from day one, 4 years ago. It seems to get worse the longer it idles When I first stop at light, idle not to bad, but starts getting worse the longer I set

Quick Reply: If I can't fix it, I will be getting rid of it