C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Brake Pads

I am replacing the Brake pads and hoses and fluid on my 1993 Convertible. The car has 34,000 miles now and has the original system. I am fine with the present system, the rotors are fine.
My question is the experience with the Ceramic pads members have had.
I am not sure what the OEM pads are. I am leaning to replacing with Ceramic.
What are your thoughts.
I am not looking to replace with the J55 or a C5 system as yet.
If I don't like what I end up with now, I will just replace them and perhaps upgrade.
I don't Track, just cruise when the weather is good here on Long Island, NY.
Barrier

Last edited by Barrier; 03-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Recommended pads.....research your application:

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bran...170304145928:s

Last edited by don hall; 03-04-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:20 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have read that the OEM pads were semi metallic, but I have also looked up an OEM part number and it said it was ceramic. So I don't know, but my guess is semi metallic from the factory.

You will get a lot of very strong opinions that don't agree with each other.

I like ceramics for the street. On my C5 I was going to upgrade to some nice pads and rotors, but for temporary I bought some of the cheapest ceramics (Friction Master on a Rock Auto closeout for about $20 for all four wheels). I put them on and was impressed. They were better stopping than the OEM, and they were much less dusting than the OEM. I put them on as temporary, but even though I bought some nice rotors and pads, I still haven't swapped them since mine is doing good with the "temporary ones".

There was/is a forum vendor (Brakemotive) that had a low cost set up with rotors and/or pads. They used a PowerStop Z16 pad which is a low cost ceramic. On the C5 section there is a thread about them with about 80 pages of positive reviews. They even had a poll about them and they were 100% positive for quite a while. The only negatives seemed to be due to drilled and slotted rotors that could crack at the drill holes in track use, but were fine on the street.

Many people also like the Hawk brand which seems to be one of the better performing pads especially for track cars.

Another forum vendor (Amp’D Autosport.com) frequently recommends their Carbotech Bobcat 1521 ceramic brake pad, and there have been many responses that they liked the pads.

In short, you will be getting a lot of different opinions, but I have had good experiences with ceramic pads on the street.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

hawk.

i remember once a competitor brake pad tried to slam hawk by saying the dust that hawk pads generated was more corrosive.

i had to laugh.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

The Carbotech 1521 pad is a low dust pad that is rotor friendly and performs like OEM and last longer. 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels. This pad also contains NRS technology. Carbotech uses NRS technology on all C4, C5, C6 & C7 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

If interested let me know I will be happy to help you.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone here used the Power Stop Ceramic Brake pads?
There are some favorable comments on the C7 Forum.
Barrier
Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the power stop brake pads and rotors. I don't even have 100 miles on them but so far I like them. Couldn't beat the price especially for their brake/rotor sets and I really wanted something to cut down on brake dust. The zinc plated rotors look great and I'm hoping to not have rust. So far I have a thin layer of dust inside the wheel but it's not nearly as thick or nasty as the brake dust I would get on the original pads. Could just be road dirt. Will know for sure after some spring driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads

Quick Reply: Brake Pads