C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SBC Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:44 PM
mrfeeney
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SBC Build

I bought a used motor to repower my 84 and have a question for the group.

Can anyone tell me why the piston top would have more clearance on the exhaust side than the intake side?

Could the previous owner have decked the block this way on purpose, or possibly the Mahle flat tops were manufactured this way for extra valve clearance?

I've got around .010 below the deck on the outboard or exhaust side of the piston and around .040 on the inboard or intake side of the piston.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Having built a few SBCs in my day, What are your intentions for the motor? What would you like it to do? What HP are you looking for, and what kind of torque are you looking for? Planning on keeping it as a 350? or Stroking it and going to a 383? Keeping the TPI, or going to something else?

These are all questions you need to answer first, then build the engine around those parameters. It really isn't that hard. I used to be ALOT easier when PAW was still around, as you could source all of your parts from one single source. But it can still be done.

Personally I would get a nice roller cam with nice lift, and duration, a decent set of heads that are port matched, which isnt that hard, go with about a 10:1 compression ratio, and a set of long tube headers.

So check it out, there are websites out there as well engine builders that post everything online it really isnt that hard, and can be quite relaxing

D.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM
mrfeeney
Cruising

Yep, I've built a few myself....the question remains has anyone seen a piston that has more deck clearance on the intake side than the exhaust?

The engine is brand new with only three passes on it but I tore it down to make sure what I had and that there were no issues.

It has Mahle SBC250060F05 pistons, I plan to replace the heads with a set of Dart 180 runners 64CC chamber 2.02/1.60 dual springs for a roller cam setup, which according to Mahle will make 10.6-1 compression.

Cam selection still not settled.

Street/Strip application

Will be keeping the CFI with a Renegade intake upgrade and some work on the TBI's and programmable ECM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 PM
mrfeeney
Cruising

More checking of other pistons revealed there is that much slop of the pistons in the bore, now Ill check to see if they are in tolerance....now I feel stupid
Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... The fact is : pistons are purposely not cylindrically round ... its not very apparent looking at them with the naked eye but if you looked at a piston from the side with the pin hole on center , it would have a barrel shape ... when cold ..... also , some forged piston alloys expand more than others and therefore need more piston to wall clearance allowing for more rocking in the bore ... again , when cold .....
Old 03-09-2017, 02:22 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeeney
I've got around .010 below the deck on the outboard or exhaust side of the piston and around .040 on the inboard or intake side of the piston.
More checking of other pistons revealed there is that much slop of the pistons in the bore
I can't imagine that much "slop" is good. I sure can't see that in my '84! The '84 FSM specifies "production" piston clearance of 0.0025 - 0.0035, with maximum wear clearance of 0.0045. What are you identifying as the "outboard/exhaust/inboard/intake" sides, since the intake & exhaust valves are arranged e/i/i/e/e/i/i/e?

Get notified of new replies

To SBC Build

Quick Reply: SBC Build