C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BBK 52mm Throttle body install

Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 PM
unca
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK 52mm Throttle body install

Need to set TPS to a new throttle body, is this hard to do ?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by unca
Need to set TPS to a new throttle body, is this hard to do ?
Congrats on the quality BBK tb. The answer is not hard. Dialing in the TPS voltage.
The L98 slotted & LT1 non adjustable. Slotting is possible to perfect a specific voltage. each, have 2 different TPS designs. A scan tool or data logging makes dialing in the voltage effortless. The next method piercing the harness or making extended pins to allow connecting a volt meter.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 03-30-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Congrats on the quality BBK tb. The answer is not hard. Dialing in the TPS voltage.
The L98 slotted & LT1 non adjustable. Slotting is possible to perfect a specific voltage. each, have 2 different TPS designs. A scan tool or data logging makes dialing in the voltage effortless. The next method piercing the harness or making extended pins to allow connecting a volt meter.
You sure? Apparently the earlier L98 has a slotted one but the 90-91 and maybe a year or two earlier, IDK, isn't slotted. At least that is what the parts guy said when I asked why it was different for my 91.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:15 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
You sure? Apparently the earlier L98 has a slotted one but the 90-91 and maybe a year or two earlier, IDK, isn't slotted. At least that is what the parts guy said when I asked why it was different for my 91.
OE 90 - 91 L98 TPS. the holes are big enough allowing +OR - a few voltage points. Also note the slots were never machined. Easy mod! The LT1 TPS has a lil room for a slot mod. Allowing ajustibility.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 03-31-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:39 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It is not slotted on the 90 and 91 because the ecu compensates for the voltage, unlike the older versions that need to be set correctly.

When I replaced mine, I found that it was slotted and the same BS with the parts guy. So I slotted the new one and set voltage both high and low, which tool a few tries, like with most things.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

My under, which is standing, is that the ECM sees starting voltage as base so what would be gained by slotting it?
Old 03-31-2017, 03:28 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

My under, which is standing, is that the ECM sees starting voltage as base so what would be gained by slotting it?
Much time, have you must
Retired is you.
the nitpick is strong with this one.

If I remember right I put it on and drove, and of course naturally it did not seem right psychologically. So I checked voltage and it was .36... mind you I am remembering back about 15 years. I checked high voltage and it was 4.5 or so. This will not do.

So I slotted it till it was .54, and whatever is ok on top, but that did not work out now. So a few more tries and I was in spec of L98 of old.

Also remembering back now 17 years, I thought I read that you could adjust to try and make up for throttle response. Which if you built an engine, you get really into this kind of nit picking. TPS, Initial timing, Idle resets, etc...

Plus the one I removed was slotted.

After all that, I learned it did not need to be adjusted.

but if I did not question it, how would I know anything?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
Much time, have you must
Retired is you.
the nitpick is strong with this one.

If I remember right I put it on and drove, and of course naturally it did not seem right psychologically. So I checked voltage and it was .36... mind you I am remembering back about 15 years. I checked high voltage and it was 4.5 or so. This will not do.

So I slotted it till it was .54, and whatever is ok on top, but that did not work out now. So a few more tries and I was in spec of L98 of old.

Also remembering back now 17 years, I thought I read that you could adjust to try and make up for throttle response. Which if you built an engine, you get really into this kind of nit picking. TPS, Initial timing, Idle resets, etc...

Plus the one I removed was slotted.

After all that, I learned it did not need to be adjusted.

but if I did not question it, how would I know anything?
OK. I don't think I am yet. I'll check with my accountant but last I knew, I paid taxes. I just have a short work day but a lot of dead time in between.

The reason I asked is that if there is no difference and the ECM just figures out "We started with 0.7V and that is base" it is different from it expecting 0.54V and after say 0.1V it considers it "off idle" which is why people try to trick the ECM into thinking that so it might go off idle faster. But if that doesn't matter, whatever you set it to might not matter and all it does is maybe lose some adjustment range.

Like you, I question everything and maybe pick something up here and there.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 PM
unca
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Mines a 1986 Indy Pace Car and I started it today, it she went up to 2200 rpm, just wee bit off.. So tomorrow I'll get it dialed in.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Mines a 1986 Indy Pace Car and I started it today, it she went up to 2200 rpm, just wee bit off.. So tomorrow I'll get it dialed in.
You sure it isn't an air leak?
Old 04-01-2017, 05:48 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

I guess if the throttle is open too far, which means IAC reset and TPS dialed in again once you close the blades. Otherwise you have a big vacuum leak.

Get notified of new replies

To BBK 52mm Throttle body install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK 52mm Throttle body install