C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:04 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine Bogging

Got my 84 out today for the first time. I didn't have much gas in it and couldn't find my old Jerry can so I tossed in a little regular gas and headed to the gas station as I was on empty. The car stalled out just after filling up. Was driving around and it felt a little rough. Just figured it was because it sat all winter. Took it down a back road after it was warmed up and when I went to give it gas the car started to bog down and it was almost going to stall out. I got it home by feathering the gas pedal. I let it idle in my drive way for about 15 minutes and it was ok. When it started to sound like it was going to choke out I put it into the garage. Went back after letting it sit for 5 minutes and it wouldn't start. Seemed like it was getting no gas. So I let it sit for about 2 hours. I came back and it fired up. I let it sit in my garage at an idle. While sitting there it was idling at just over 1000rpms but would go up and down. The idle never went below 1000. After I figured it may be bad gas or something. After 15 minutes of that I put it in gear and backed it up a little and went forward.. it seemed fine. I put her back in park and started to rev it up. Once I got to about 2500 rpm it started to bog again. Then it continued to get worse until it just shut off. I tired to start it again, it would start for a couple seconds then choke out. Any idea what this could be? The car was running great when I put it away last fall.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:36 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Check your fuel pressure first. Either fuel pump or filter or both. Then check coil. Tho I don't think its it but classic sign of a coil going out is it quits when gets warm, will then crank again when cools off.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:46 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
Check your fuel pressure first. Either fuel pump or filter or both. Then check coil. Tho I don't think its it but classic sign of a coil going out is it quits when gets warm, will then crank again when cools off.
Ok, I'll check the pump first and go from there. Could it be clogged up? I replaced the pump last summer. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:47 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by James84vette
Got my 84 out today for the first time. I didn't have much gas in it and couldn't find my old Jerry can so I tossed in a little regular gas and headed to the gas station as I was on empty. The car stalled out just after filling up. Was driving around and it felt a little rough. Just figured it was because it sat all winter. Took it down a back road after it was warmed up and when I went to give it gas the car started to bog down and it was almost going to stall out. I got it home by feathering the gas pedal. I let it idle in my drive way for about 15 minutes and it was ok. When it started to sound like it was going to choke out I put it into the garage. Went back after letting it sit for 5 minutes and it wouldn't start. Seemed like it was getting no gas. So I let it sit for about 2 hours. I came back and it fired up. I let it sit in my garage at an idle. While sitting there it was idling at just over 1000rpms but would go up and down. The idle never went below 1000. After I figured it may be bad gas or something. After 15 minutes of that I put it in gear and backed it up a little and went forward.. it seemed fine. I put her back in park and started to rev it up. Once I got to about 2500 rpm it started to bog again. Then it continued to get worse until it just shut off. I tired to start it again, it would start for a couple seconds then choke out. Any idea what this could be? The car was running great when I put it away last fall.
Sounds like you flushed some crap from an empty tank...and it's taken up residence in a fuel filter to me.

later, tiny
Old 04-02-2017, 10:20 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
Check your fuel pressure first. Either fuel pump or filter or both.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:59 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Took the fuel pump out this afternoon. The sock had fallen off some how. The drain where the gas gets pumped up was clogged right up. So I cleaned it out the sock back on. Running great now. Picking up a new fuel filter tomorrow. The one on there now looks fairly new.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Easy(ish) fix! Good work!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:42 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Thanks. I find the vette a lot easier to work on then some of my previous cars (88 trans am, 86 & 89 mustang.)

With the mustangs we would cut out a part of the floor in the truck to get to the fuel pump rather then dropping the tank.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 AM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=James84vette;1594448870 Picking up a new fuel filter tomorrow. The one on there now looks fairly new.[/QUOTE]

Before you ****** the filter out pull the fuel pump fuse, start the engine and let it run out of fuel. Otherwise you'll get soaked with gas when you pull the filter on the starboard side.

later, tiny

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Bogging

Quick Reply: Engine Bogging