C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

motor mount heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 PM
KB_303
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default motor mount heat wrap

Don't ask how or why, but my 96 LT4 no longer has the heat wrap installed on the motor mounts. I have a pair of Melrose ceramic coated long tube headers on the car, and am curious if I can get away with running the car long term without the heat wrap on the motor mounts. I'd be interested in options for replacement if in your opinion I still need them. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

well the stock wrap was (one) pretty chintzy and (two) not designed to endure header heat (obviously)

any ceramic wrap designed for headers wrapped around the motor mounts would be a step in the right direction.

now if you still have oem motor mounts, those are hydraulic and filled with hydraulic fluid...and I am certain that of all available type motor mounts these would the least able to withstand high temps over a long time; there are lots of photo's of these mounts when they fail

what to do, what to do?

After market mounts are solid rubber (and much cheaper than oem mounts) and would be a better bet (probably), or,

contact woody church aka "churchkey" on this forum, he just made up a set of solid motor mounts for my 96 and they look pretty heat proof to me.

Quick Reply: motor mount heat wrap