C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Parts from Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts from Amazon

Any difference in buying Corvette "name brand" parts from Amazon vs. Ecklers, MA or another car part distributor.?

Especially for bigger ticket items like exhaust parts/mufflers I am finding that Amazon is much faster and has no handling charge...if prices are about the same has anyone found a reason not to buy from Amazon. Thanks.!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:32 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Ralph88
Any difference in buying Corvette "name brand" parts from Amazon vs. Ecklers, MA or another car part distributor.?

Especially for bigger ticket items like exhaust parts/mufflers I am finding that Amazon is much faster and has no handling charge...if prices are about the same has anyone found a reason not to buy from Amazon. Thanks.!
I have bought parts for my 88 with no problem. Good thing if you are a Prime member free shipping and no issues with returns. I had a Throttle Position Sensor go bad shortly after installing it and they refunded with no questions asked other than why I was returning it.
The following users liked this post:
jph46 (05-12-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I would verify part numbers with another source Amazon's fitment data has been known to be wrong

amazon will still take it back if it's a prime item but just a hassle to return and wait
Old 04-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

I have had success with Amazon and GM parts. Better prices, fast shipping and easy exchanges. My only gripe has been the packaging can leave a bit to be desired sometimes and they have shipped parts incorrectly labeled. But, they also immediately shipped the correct part and didn't ask for a return.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

As for eckler's parts I've gotten better pricing through there eBay store
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
I would verify part numbers with another source Amazon's fitment data has been known to be wrong

amazon will still take it back if it's a prime item but just a hassle to return and wait

I've had to return a few things (bent gasket set, fuel pump) and haven't had any issues with it. Just verify the part numbers and go at it! When buying on Amazon, I only purchase Prime products for the return policy and quick shipping.

Last edited by slhawkins; 04-05-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: *Clarification
Old 04-05-2017, 02:28 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have bought parts from Amazon many times. If you look closely you will find that Ecklers and Corvette Central sell on Amazon and Ebay as well. Can't beat Prime Shipping.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Thanks all for the input.!

Well, I purchased two things from Summit Racing today and was very happy with everything. It was the first time I have used them. The shipping was free, no tax and the price was actually better then Amazon when all was said and done.

I also purchased a part from Amazon and it was priced right, free shipping and it shipped the same day. Gotta love it.!

I will still use Ecklers and MA, I have been using them on occasion for years, but it is nice to know there are some good options.

Hope I am not premature in my positive thoughts and everything is delivered properly..will know when they arrive next week..!

I will update once I receive everything.!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I live 20 miles from one of Amazon's distribution centers, sometimes I can order something at 11am and have it by the end of the day. :-D

It spoils you though. I ordered a few parts from someone two weeks ago and it took all of 8 days to arrive. In that time I could have ordered the PVC I needed from Amazon and custom made it myself!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:30 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I just bought a power steering pressure hose (Gates) from Amazon and it was the correct part. The AC Delco "Corvette brand" part was a few bucks cheaper on Amazon but I have very good experience with Gates products and didn't think twice about paying a bit more for their part. Very high quality and low price, hard to beat. Before ordering, I cross-referenced the part on a few different websites to be sure it was the same part number listed on Amazon. Granted this power steering pressure hose is not a big-ticket item but it is specific to this model.

Last edited by DGXR; 04-06-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, I had not the same experience, bought a brake master cylinder for my '98 and it was a bad unit but because it was past a thirty day return policy, the selling store would not take it back saying I had to deal with the manufacturer, Amazon would not help getting me a new part, so I closed the account and have not anything from them since and never again.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Wait until you actually have to deal with someone and find out, Lo and Behold, that you are talking to someone in India that has no clue as to what anything regarding an auto is about. They have absolutely no product knowledge, no business acumen etc.

I tried dealing with them regarding a suspension kit for our travel trailer. The way Amazon had it worded, I needed to verify they were selling both sides, ie: a kit. There is no one that is available to talk to that has an effing clue as to what an RV part is, or what the word "kit" entails.

After that bit I refuse to purchase anything over 10 to 15 dollars, if that, from them.

What are you going to do when they put everyone else out of business and you need to talk to someone on the phone that can answer your questions and understand what you are talking about AND talk to you in an accent you can actually follow ??????

If you take your time, most times, you can find the same product, at the same, or close to the same price AND keep someone here working.

Amazon is just like every other big business that is outsourcing jobs to India.

Last edited by drcook; 04-08-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph88
Thanks all for the input.!

Well, I purchased two things from Summit Racing today and was very happy with everything.
I've used Summit and JEG's for years, what I like about either is even if I order at 2230 in the evening it goes out that night via UPS. Sometimes depending on the part it's drop shipped from the manufacturer and usually comes FedEX. Even the gals working the phones are gearheads...gotta love that.

later, tiny
Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Just thought I would follow-up on my initial post.!

Happy to say I received all of my exhaust parts within a week and they are all correct and in good shape.!

I received the Summit Racing parts within 2-5 days and got the Amazon part in 6 days. All free shipping and good prices.! It took a little research and an hour or so to check numbers and prices, etc., but what a pleasure.!

Just FYI, I ordered KBD Targa mufflers, front Y pipe without cats, a main cat and a rear Y pipe for my 1988 Coupe.

I am proud to say I bought my 1988 new in December 1987 and have had KBD Targa Mufflers on since late 88 when I put the originals in a box and put these on, I think they look great on an early C4 and except for rusting inside still look fairly good on the outside, but it was time for a new set. The car is basically stock so the extra little rumble is nice too.

I am not doing the work so now I am just hoping they are installed properly!! lol
Old 05-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Ralph88
Intermediate

Update, had the exhaust put on and it looks and sounds great although I am still having a little work done and have not actually driven it yet.

The original old front y-pipe with the two mini cats that are gutted, the original main cat (gutted), the rear y-pipe, and two old KBD exhausts with nice chrome that were taken off are still in ok shape and work, should I keep since the original equipment or try to sell, etc..?

(I still have the original mufflers in a box and wondering if I ever sell the car would it be good to have these old/original parts, a little rusted or not....)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Amazon isnt bad just certain parts beware

FI.....lots of GM LS7 knockoff lifters that look the part but are pure junk.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:35 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Compare by shopping at RockAuto.
The following users liked this post:
A Peter C4 (05-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Parts from Amazon

Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If the vendor you wish to go with is listed on Amazon I would suggest getting it through there. I just ordered some CORVETTE ABS filler lettering for the rear bumper and it was about $5-6 cheaper than through eBay or Ecklers own website plus with Prime shipping, can't beat it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
Wait until you actually have to deal with someone and find out, Lo and Behold, that you are talking to someone in India that has no clue as to what anything regarding an auto is about. They have absolutely no product knowledge, no business acumen etc.

I tried dealing with them regarding a suspension kit for our travel trailer. The way Amazon had it worded, I needed to verify they were selling both sides, ie: a kit. There is no one that is available to talk to that has an effing clue as to what an RV part is, or what the word "kit" entails.

After that bit I refuse to purchase anything over 10 to 15 dollars, if that, from them.
Sounds like the same service I get from my local parts houses.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM
kalvin06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive have had good experience with amazon, I am a prime member so shipping is excellent. Looking up parts can be sketchy with them though and I alway verify part numbers either through a manufacturers page or with another auto parts store.

I know its a little shady but I will look up all my parts through Rock Auto and then I will comparison shop with Amazon. Rock Auto has the cheaper prices usually but I still have pay for shipping, and returns for them are much more of a hassle than Amazon.

Last edited by kalvin06; 05-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Parts from Amazon