C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel Bearing Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Wheel Bearing Install

This may be a really dumb question, but what type of grease do I use when I attach the wheel bearing to the steering knuckle? When I took it apart it had red grease. Is it just regular high heat bearing grease? How much grease do I need?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Someone smeared it with grease so it wouldn't seize in the knuckle.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:26 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
Someone smeared it with grease so it wouldn't seize in the knuckle.
Is it supposed to be like that? Should I do the same? Just use regular grease?
I looked in the FSM and I couldn't find any mention of greasing it, that's why I figured I'd ask here.

Did it come from the factory like that?

Last edited by jimmers; 04-07-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers
This may be a really dumb question, but what type of grease do I use when I attach the wheel bearing to the steering knuckle? When I took it apart it had red grease. Is it just regular high heat bearing grease? How much grease do I need?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you're referring to the bolts that hold the front hub assembly to the knuckle. If anything, I'd assume that was Loctite rather than grease. Red is the harder to remove except with heat and is used to keep something from coming loose.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hcbph
I'm assuming you're referring to the bolts that hold the front hub assembly to the knuckle. If anything, I'd assume that was Loctite rather than grease. Red is the harder to remove except with heat and is used to keep something from coming loose.
No, I'm meaning the hole were the wheel bearing fits into the knuckle. You can see it from this picture.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:42 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

From the looks of that knuckle, you have ABS. For whatever reason it was done in the first place, all it would do is potentially contaminate the abs sensor and sensor wheel on the hub assembly. Clean it up and don't do it on reassembly.

On the tie-rod end, wouldn't hurt to put a 'light coat' of antiseize on the taper along with a little Loctite on the threads, but nothing inside the knuckle.

Last edited by hcbph; 04-08-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hcbph
From the looks of that knuckle, you have ABS. For whatever reason it was done in the first place, all it would do is potentially contaminate the abs sensor and sensor wheel on the hub assembly. Clean it up and don't do it on reassembly.

On the tie-rod end, wouldn't hurt to put a 'light coat' of antiseize on the taper along with a little Loctite on the threads, but nothing inside the knuckle.
Thanks. I was a little confused when I removed it and found grease there. You guys rock!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Don't mean t bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm ready to install my new wheel bearings and noticed it came with a new seal. Whats the point of the seal if I don't add grease inside the knuckle? The instructions it came with also says to add grease to the seal and inside the knuckle. It's a Timkin bearing.

Last edited by jimmers; 04-14-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Don't mean t bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm ready to install my new wheel bearings and noticed it came with a new seal. Whats the point of the seal if I don't add grease inside the knuckle? The instructions it came with also says to add grease to the seal and inside the knuckle. It's a Timkin bearing.
Depends on a lot of things. Most aftermarket hubs have multiple uses and have to have all the parts for all those options. I replaced a hub on mine last year, the replacement had parts I didn't need to use in my situation.

wouldn't hurt to show what you had and what you have and what you're referring to. Mine weren't Timkin so unsure of what you have so can't say either way. Mine had a seal that fit between the hub and the knuckle that fit around the abs wheel. To present contamination of the abs sensor if the hub ever leaked grease is my assumption. I also had another seal that wasn't used, it wasn't present on my old one and no provisions on my car for it so no apparent usage of it as far as I could tell.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:50 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Generally when I am replacing a wheel bearing I will put anti-seize on the surface where the bearing seats, contacts the knuckle. If there's an area that is greased and exposed to the elements it will attract dirt. I would leave that exposed area clean.

Gary
Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Hopefully these pictures make it easier to understand. I apologize if I'm over complicating this.

The first pic shows the old steering knuckle which has grease inside.
The second pic shows the old and new bearings. Grease is all over the old bearing.
The third pic shows the bearing with seal.

Am I just supposed to use regular wheel bearing grease and apply some on the seal and inside the knuckle?

Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 AM
RF1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The last guy don't know what he was doing.
The only grease needed is inside the wheel bearing.

If it were my car, I would clean everything up, check the knuckle flange for flatness, and dress it down with a file as needed.
I would put a very thin smear of antisieze on the bearing flange, and the 'nub' that touches the inside of the bore.
Torque the bolts, and call it done.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:31 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

That grease isn't going to hurt anything or cause bad abs readings. Hell, all the recent chevy trucks have front wheel bearings that have the tone ring inside with all that grease.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:41 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Clean all of that red grease out of the knuckle. It's not necessary. Check the o-ring on the new hub and apply a very light coat of lubricant of the face of the o-ring. In the pic, it looks like there is a small amount of lubricant on the o-ring already.

Clean up the hub mounting face on the knuckle, install the hub and torque to spec. I like to use a small amount of anti-sieze on the bolt threads after cleaning them.
The following users liked this post:
jimmers (04-18-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 04:03 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply everyone. I'll clean up the grease and leave it as is.
​​​​​​
Out of curiousity what's the point of the o ring then? To keep debris from getting in?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:55 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks for the reply everyone. I'll clean up the grease and leave it as is.
​​​​​​
Out of curiousity what's the point of the o ring then? To keep debris from getting in?
Hi

The yellow plastic looks lust like the ones my Timken 513019 front wheels bearing hubs came in? that i fitted yesterday

One of my old bearing hub had some grease leak into the knucle also, the other was spotless.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:03 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

The yellow plastic looks lust like the ones my Timken 513019 front wheels bearing hubs came in? that i fitted yesterday

Yep same ones!

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Bearing Install

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Install