C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Want to put a T56 in your C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 12:23 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (ninetyfivevette)

I think the extra length is in the tail housing. Unfortunately, the dimensions I have been able to find do not show tail housing dimensions. I double the difference is in the bellhousing.

But straight from http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/trans_dims.htm, the 84-96 Corvette 700R4/4L60/4L60E is 29.875", and the same in everything else is 30.75". A T56 from a F-Body is 31.275" long.

Again, this is just from what I have been able to grab from the net. It's not like I have all these at my disposal for measuring.

Mike
Old 09-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On most GM cars and trucks, variations of transmission lengths are compensated for by the use of the slip yokes. If you look at the 700r4 in the vettes, you will find that there is a slip yoke. Even with a fixed length between the rearend and the trans, because of the C beam, a slip yoke is still utilized. I installed a TH400 trans which is about an inch and a quarter shorter than the 700r4. However, I compensated for this by using the appropriate slip yoke from a Chevy truck that uses the same exact u joints. This enabled me to use the stock vette driveshaft.

I don't have pictures handy. But I will take some when I put the car back on a lift later this next week. I assume that you want pics of the C beam mount that I fabricated since the rest of the conversion was nearly a direct bolt on.

[Modified by Sharky Guam, 6:50 AM 9/30/2002]
Old 09-30-2002, 04:02 AM
SSLT1KID
Racer

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (Sharky Guam)

will i be able to use my camaro pedals? i really dont want to have to search for corvette pedals. seems like everything corvette is rediculously expensive, just because its corvette. :seeya:chevy:seeya
Old 10-01-2002, 03:58 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (SSLT1KID)

Sometimes you will get lucky and see them on ebay. I saw a clutch/brake pedal setup about a month or two ago that went for $60 I think. Otherwise the Corvette salvage places would be a good place to start too. Otherwise, I am sure you can MAKE the Camaro pedals work. I mean it's just metal and fiberglass, right? :yesnod:
Old 10-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Well, this is my inspriation.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rontyler/t56.html

Also take a look at this 4L80E conversion bracket:

http://bowtye8.tzo.com/hovmovies/pic...vette/con6.JPG
Both excellent sites. Thanks for the links!

I like the steel adapter bracket in the auto conversion. That most closely approximates what I would come up with for the T-56 conversion. Or any manual trans conversion, actually. I have no real reason to go to a 5 or 6 speed.

Old 10-01-2002, 04:45 PM
jmr302
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (Rick93Z07)

If you succeed in developing a mechanically sound conversion kit that bolts-in, it will sell like hotcakes for real big bux. I think the 4+3 and automatic owners will buy more than you can produce.
I agree. The key is figuring out how to pull this off for less than $2000 or so. AFAIK, the Richmond swap costs about $3800 and a ZF6 swap is maybe $2500 (anyone have actual #'s?). In fact if you could produce and sell a swap kit for $1000 or so, not including the price of a used gearbox, you wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:09 PM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (Nathan Plemons)

...Oh, yeah...The dime-a-dozen...I took a quick look at eBay, and 94 & up T-56's seem to match ZF prices...My idea of a dime-a-dozen is $250 - $350...Complete...

Really? That's strange. Just for grins, what about new? I've heard upwards of $6k for a ZF.
89' ZF6, $900 bucks, ebay, only bidder. Everybody else was bidding on the other newer ZF6 that started way lower and ended an hour later, then I think didn't even sell. Also scored the bellhousing and all the clutch parts from the same car in a different auction for like $150.

That T56 conversion would be great!!! Hope you can work it all out and make it a marketable kit and make $millions$. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 10-10-2002, 02:02 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (mooncricket)

What year did you put that '89 ZF into?

That wasn't the one that had trouble getting into 2nd gear was it?

There was that one and another in MS that was a bent input shaft that I wanted to buy both and make one good unit.

I decided to wait though. I am still hoping that santa will be good to me this year w/ my bonus and I will get everything then.

I had to settle with ordering a pair of long tubes and the LT4 hot cam kit today... ho hum... How I long for a 6 speed!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:36 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What year did you put that '89 ZF into?

That wasn't the one that had trouble getting into 2nd gear was it?

There was that one and another in MS that was a bent input shaft that I wanted to buy both and make one good unit.

I decided to wait though. I am still hoping that santa will be good to me this year w/ my bonus and I will get everything then.

I had to settle with ordering a pair of long tubes and the LT4 hot cam kit today... ho hum... How I long for a 6 speed!

Nope, wasn't me. I did see the one with the bent input shaft, I'd stay away from it. I think the car was t-boned(?) My 89' trans went into my 88' corvette. I bought it way back in April of this year. No trouble with second gear either. Or first, third, fourth, fifth, sixth or reverse. Shifts. like butter with the Hurst. I just have some other demons to settle out, leaky brakes, leaky fuel system. No big deal.

I'm goin to get me a cam, miniram, and port everything next. That or a 4.10 in my Dana 44. Congrads on your LT4 cam and longtubes. :cheers:
Old 10-23-2002, 04:34 PM
SSLT1KID
Racer

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (mooncricket)

any news? anyone gotten started yet? how hard is it to put in the pedals/hydraulics?
Old 10-24-2002, 12:12 AM
kawboy5792
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Want to put a T56 in your C4? (SSLT1KID)

why go through all the hassle of putting a T-56 in when the ZF can handle more power? ive seen T56's go kaboom at at power levels that the ZF handled easily in ZR1's. Plus the T56's seem to need to be serviced more often (my friend has an f-body) due to lack of all-metal inner construction.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
86VX1
Drifting

any updates, kind of curious too since im contemplating a manual swap
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
85MikeTPI
Racer

Tons of other posts about this, no reason to open up a 9 year old thread...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
ggrassmid
Instructor

ProStreet Customs already makes an adapter for the T56 to a C4 Corvette
Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
Over the next few weeks I will be aquiring a T56 tail housing to see how feasible it would be to create a new tailshaft housing which is compatible with the Corvette to allow the T56 to bolt up to the factory torque arm. It will be machined from 6061. It will basically look like the existing tailshaft housing, except it will obviously have the mouting on the right side for the torque arm. It will be designed such that no modifications will need to be done to the existing torque arm, but I might put in another set of holes for those that already have D44's or want to upgrade to one without having to get a new torque arm or modify their's as well.

I am for sure going to do this for myself, but if there are people that would be interested, I will keep people updated.

Mike
Its been done already by Pro Street Customs I have one. I'm in process of installing my T-56 if I can ever get my honey do's done. I am using the LT-1 style Bell Housing so I can use my stock clutch set up. The only custom part will be a McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing. The LT-1 were equiped with a pull style throwout bearing.

Last edited by 87bob; 06-30-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Want to put a T56 in your C4?