C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Necessity of Rubber Shift Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:34 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Necessity of Rubber Shift Boot?

I recently replaced the upper shift boot with an aftermarket piece on my 94 ZF6. To be clear, this is the rubber boot directly beneath the leather one. I wasn't happy with the replacement. It rubbed the console, rubbed the leather boot, squeaked and made the shifter feel stiff.

This afternoon I removed it. The shifter has never felt better. The shift action is so much more positive and the stick moves between the gears with a greater sense of precision. So I ask, what is the downside of eliminating the rubber boot? I imagine I can expect more heat in the console area. Maybe a bit more noise. The shift mechanism is exposed, but still protected by the console and leather boot from everyday contaminants. The lower boot on the underside is intact.

Anything else that would make it vital?

I guess a stick without a rubber feeling better applies to cars too. There, I made the bad joke so you don't have to.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:47 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

That boot seals the opening in the tunnel so the things I think could apply would be:

More heat inside the car
More noise inside the car
Possibly some water inside the car from road spray mist from wet weather driving.

I doubt that it would hurt anything if left out, but it may be noticeable.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:03 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I ran without my boot for a very short time. There is a significant difference in heat. But there is a HUGE difference in noise. You end up with a big hole under the car you get all the road noise and engine/trans noise, and the leather decorative boot does absolutely nothing to reduce the noise. Nothing will be damaged by leaving it out, but unless your car is a full-effort race car that you trailer to events and never drive on the street, you will want the rubber boot back on there!

How did you install the aftermarket rubber boot? I found this job to be quite impossible, even with the top console cover removed. It's the side by the driver's seat that is difficult. Mine is on there, but not completely correctly. Did you remove the entire console (i.e., sides and all)? Or did you perhaps work it over the lip of the floor pan from underneath? Help a brotha out!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I did mine shortly after purchasing it. But it did require removal of the entire console. there is also a stamped steel bracket that bolts to studs on the top of the trans tunnel, there are 4 acorn nuts on it, that assist in holding the rubber boot down. Not pleasurable, but not impossible, and it's alot easier than changing the power brake booster....

D.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

The boot on my '94 ZF6 car was damaged enough that it might as well have not been present. The center console got very hot. I also had a leaking extension housing seal, and the gear lube was getting slung onto the exhaust, burning, and the fumes were entering the cabin. All in all, pretty nasty.

I tore the car down a few years ago for a new clutch, and much more. I replaced the boot while I was in there. All good now, much quieter, and the console stays WAY cooler. Cooking those plastic console components is not good.

I was able to swap the boot without removing the console side panels, but it wasn't easy. Sneaking the boot into place on the driver's side was the challenge. It's now on there with adhesive and zip-ties securing it to the tunnel. I've had no issues since, and no problems with interference shifting.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 04-17-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
I recently replaced the upper shift boot with an aftermarket piece on my 94 ZF6. To be clear, this is the rubber boot directly beneath the leather one. I wasn't happy with the replacement. It rubbed the console, rubbed the leather boot, squeaked and made the shifter feel stiff.

This afternoon I removed it. The shifter has never felt better. The shift action is so much more positive and the stick moves between the gears with a greater sense of precision. So I ask, what is the downside of eliminating the rubber boot? I imagine I can expect more heat in the console area. Maybe a bit more noise. The shift mechanism is exposed, but still protected by the console and leather boot from everyday contaminants. The lower boot on the underside is intact.

Anything else that would make it vital?

I guess a stick without a rubber feeling better applies to cars too. There, I made the bad joke so you don't have to.
I would say for a street driven car, yes it is necessary.

You could try putting some talcom powder on the boot to prevent squeaks and noises. However, I noticed the same as you when I replaced mine, got really noisy and stiff, didn't like it. I put the old stocker back on with a few rips in it. Broken in like a nice leather couch
Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

The driver side was a complete pain and I'm sure it wasn't seated perfectly. Regardless, the replacement boot was unacceptable to me. The squeaks are one thing but it was also so rigid that is really hindered shifter movement. The old boot is too damaged to bother reinstalling.

I've put some miles on the car without the boot in place. As far as noise increase, very minimal. Yes, I can tell but it's not a big difference at all. The only time I can notice it is different is at low/med rpm with heavy throttle.

The real difference is heat. In the past the console was noticeably warm. Now more so. As of now my intention is to leave it off. That may change once the summer heat arrives but the aftermarket piece just didn't make me happy. I can't have it interfering with the shifter performance.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
As of now my intention is to leave it off. That may change once the summer heat arrives but the aftermarket piece just didn't make me happy. I can't have it interfering with the shifter performance.
So this was an aftermarket replacement lower boot? That probably explains the problems. Are the OEM boots no longer available? I used the OEM part, and it worked out just fine.

Live well,

SJW
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

The one one I am referring to above that squeaks and binds is in fact an aftermarket piece.

My understanding is the OEM boot is no longer available and the aftermarkets are only recently avaialble.

Get notified of new replies

To Necessity of Rubber Shift Boot?

Quick Reply: Necessity of Rubber Shift Boot?