C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Wheel Bearing/Knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:55 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Bearing/Knuckle

I'm replacing my rear wheel bearings and noticed after taking them off that there is no grease on the spindle. There isn't supposed to be any? Also what is the point of the hole at the bottom of the knuckle/bearing bracket? I'd assume there is supposed to be grease in the knuckle and the hole would have a plug in it. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers
I'm replacing my rear wheel bearings and noticed after taking them off that there is no grease on the spindle. There isn't supposed to be any? Also what is the point of the hole at the bottom of the knuckle/bearing bracket? I'd assume there is supposed to be grease in the knuckle and the hole would have a plug in it. Thanks!
OK, first off I've not noticed a hole in the "bottom" of my rear knuckles. If there is, if I was to guess I'd say to eliminate condensation or someone drilled a hole for who-knows whatever reason. If it's in the side it's likely to fit the abs sensor or screw it down. Maybe post a picture to insure we're talking the same spot in the knuckle.

Whether you use anti-seize (which I do) or use grease on the spindle shaft, I don't know it makes a whole lot of difference. Know that though the FSM torque specs on the spindle nut is something like 170 foot pounds, AFAIK it was revised to about 200 foot pounds for all C4's some time in the past. Best double check for yours to confirm those numbers.

Does that answer your questions?
The following users liked this post:
jimmers (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

The FSM doesn't call for grease.

Good Luck
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hcbph
OK, first off I've not noticed a hole in the "bottom" of my rear knuckles. If there is, if I was to guess I'd say to eliminate condensation or someone drilled a hole for who-knows whatever reason. If it's in the side it's likely to fit the abs sensor or screw it down. Maybe post a picture to insure we're talking the same spot in the knuckle.

Whether you use anti-seize (which I do) or use grease on the spindle shaft, I don't know it makes a whole lot of difference. Know that though the FSM torque specs on the spindle nut is something like 170 foot pounds, AFAIK it was revised to about 200 foot pounds for all C4's some time in the past. Best double check for yours to confirm those numbers.

Does that answer your questions?
That answers my questions! Where would I be without you guys??!!

I'll be in the garage shortly and take a picture of the hole. It's not the ABS sensor hole.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by QCVette
The FSM doesn't call for grease.

Good Luck
Thanks. I looked in my FSM and it doesn't mention grease either. I was just surprised not to find grease in there so I figured I'd ask. I'm also wondering why the hole is in the bottom of the bracket.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:40 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Here are some pictures of the hole. In the first picture you can see it right under the spindle. Both sides have the same hole.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Now that's interesting, I've not seen a hole like that before. I'm not going to swear to it, but when I had mine apart, I don't remember seeing a similar hole in mine. I suppose it might make a difference, mine has drum e-brakes on it.
The following users liked this post:
jimmers (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hcbph
Now that's interesting, I've not seen a hole like that before. I'm not going to swear to it, but when I had mine apart, I don't remember seeing a similar hole in mine. I suppose it might make a difference, mine has drum e-brakes on it.
What would be the point of the hole? My thinking is that water and debris can get in the hole, which wouldn't be a good thing.

Anyone else come across this?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimmers
What would be the point of the hole? My thinking is that water and debris can get in the hole, which wouldn't be a good thing.

Anyone else come across this?
If you want pure guesses: weep hole in case you drive through a stream and get water in the hub. Grease drain in case you blow a hub seal while driving 150 MPH+, Curiosity item so someone will ask why.

I honestly haven't a clue on why those holes would be there.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel Bearing/Knuckle

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing/Knuckle