C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 Vette; remove gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 PM
tnodsle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Vette; remove gas tank

I have a 1987 Corvette convertible that was left outside for about four years. The gas tank still had gas from California (not good). So, the full pump was rusted and the tank is filled with sludge. I would like to remove the gas tank and install a new tank. However, I do not know how to remove the rear part of the car to get to the tank and remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by tnodsle
I have a 1987 Corvette convertible that was left outside for about four years. The gas tank still had gas from California (not good). So, the full pump was rusted and the tank is filled with sludge. I would like to remove the gas tank and install a new tank. However, I do not know how to remove the rear part of the car to get to the tank and remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
Removing the Tank is a bit of a Daunting task but if you have thin long arms or access to them it's not too bad. you need to remove the rear bumper cover which is held on by countless nut's that run pretty much the perimeter of the cover.

you need to remove the taillights to get access to a good portion of them. once the cover is off there are 4 to 6 bolts going thru the bumper/Gas tank support frame, before removing them put so witness markes by the bolts and in a few spots were support meets car so you can get a close Alignment when reassembling and body panels meet up.

Once you have all hoses wires and marks off and your ready to support tank or have a few friends hold it remove bolts it's on the ground.

Now how BAD is the tank, unless it is a complete mess in a lot of cases you can remove Fuel sending unit and with those borrowed skinny arms and some rags on a stick you can get the tank into working order, I think if you give a close look inside the tank you will find that it is plastic lined, making it rust free and easy to wipe out.

Last edited by s carter; 04-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Yes, remove sending unit and try to clean the tank. It is a MAJOR task to replace the tank.

Getting the sending unit out is quite simple. The opening is big enough to get a good light down. You should replace the fuel pump when you have it out.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Vette; remove gas tank

Quick Reply: 1987 Vette; remove gas tank