C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 c4 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM
gunn94
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1993 c4 exhaust

What exhaust system is best for my 1993 convertible?
I have ( side effects ) on it now. I want to change it.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gunn94
What exhaust system is best for my 1993 convertible?
I have ( side effects ) on it now. I want to change it.
Best is too vague. Best for performance, sound, cost, looks or something else?
The following users liked this post:
gunn94 (05-25-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

From my understanding, the side effects are very sought after, and worth quite a penny. I would think with the proceeds from that you could afford any of the other exhausts available on the market. The standard response is usually the Corsa system but it's highly dependent on what you like in an exhaust.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM
gunn94
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Best is too vague. Best for performance, sound, cost, looks or something else?
I would have to say sound and performance.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

In all honest, there are a couple of "starting point" things you could/should do.

I'm going to do this first one (with MY side effects) myself: Assuming you have mechanical skills (or a friend), try dropping the outer/side pipes. (Disconnect the two bolts on each side that connect to the "splitter". Remove the covers and disconnect the front mounting stud.)

Because the middle splitter "turns down/out", you should be able to drive for short periods and decide HOW much muffling you'll want in the future. If you have converters on front of everything, that MIGHT be enough -- depending on your "tolerance". Keep in mind, merely extending new STRAIGHT pipes to the rear of the car will be help because sound won't reverb UNDER the car.

This leads to my second point. Consider trying a straight exhaust first. If you HAVE converters, you might not want/need much additional sound abatement. You'll also have the option to install and x-pipe...or not.

If I were you AND I was SURE I wanted rear-exit exhaust, I'd try straight pipes with an x-pipe/muffler combo (which is one piece) in the belly. Magnaflow makes them for $100ish? Corsa is more expensive. I think they are good with regard to drone abatement, but I also think they have a higher EURO sound....in comparison to NO converters and straight exhaust.

Finally, if you like what the side effects sound like -- WITHOUT the side sections -- and you like the look, you could also consider making "stubs" from the splitter STRAIGHT to the outlets. This would be nearly as free-flowing as "the best" setup you could install from scratch.

I have an idea of how to do the later, avoid ground clearance, paint blistering, etc... I plan on considering this depending on what I hear/feel with the steel castings removed from MY side effects setup.

Of course, from my perspective, side pipes can be considered as one of the potential answers to your original question!

But....mostly if they don't contribute restriction.

Edit: To be honest, I do see why sidepipes on a vert may look out-of-place. The C4 has a clearly-defined F40 body shape. Side pipes...especially with covers alter that look. That's why I feel they need an offset or two to "make them work". Another option is to paint the pipe covers BLACK. That will keep them from detracting from the F40 body shape. If you want a visual, look in the C4Parts-4-sale section. There's a set for sale there (about 2 weeks old). The price is inflated from my perspective BUT they ARE rare and impossible to find. That means you can't win if you don't play! LOL That aside, I posted a pic of a white vette with black pipes. I think it's a much better look. Of course, if you already HAVE a black car -- like me -- then you need to consider other creative options!

FWIW, my "dream vette" would be a BLACK C3 VERT with C4/C5 suspension, LS7 motor, and CHROME side pipes. Oh yeah...big-azz wheel flares, DEEP-dish wheels, and a lt-grey interior. Stripes optional. You probably get that I'm NOT an NCRS purist! Somehow, somewhere, I MUST be related to Chuck Barris!!! LOL

So...the perfect exhaust would be side pipes hooked to THAT car!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 04-21-2017 at 04:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GREGGPENN:
don hall (04-21-2017), gunn94 (04-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 c4 exhaust

Quick Reply: 1993 c4 exhaust