C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 new battery will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 PM
jhum3662
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 new battery will not start

i have been dealing with a slight battery drain for a while now. After researching and testing my battery was bad and i replaced with bigger stronger battery. Now It will start with a jump but the moment I remove the cables it dies. It will jump right off, but dies immediately after removing cables. Need some help!~
Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 PM
jhum3662
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help really bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have been dealing with a slight battery drain for a while now. After researching and testing my battery was bad and i replaced with bigger stronger battery. Now It will start with a jump but the moment I remove the cables it dies. It will jump right off, but dies immediately after removing cables. Need some help!~
Old 04-22-2017, 07:19 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

New batteries can be bad. Take it in for a test.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:26 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

If the new battery is full charged and the terminals are clean and both cables are getting good contact it should not do that, is this a new battery, it sounds like there is not good contact from battery to cables in car that's why it dies when you disconnect the power of the jumpers.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by jhum3662
Define START carefully. Do you mean it will run or just crank?

It sounds like like you have to jump to make it crank. If so, is the starter good? I'd test it and by that I mean take it to a good rebuild place and check it by disassembly. Autozone, NAPA, etc have passed my starter. The rebuild place took it apart and I found burnt oil from the engine valve cover leak long ago.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

If the engine is running until you disconnect your "jumper" battery then you've either got no power in the new battery (unlikely..but they have been known to be bad ) or you've got a open circuit.
Just out of curiosity take a look at the positive cable, if it has the original thick red rubber boot around it cut it off with a razor knife. Mine was loaded with corrosion...all hidden from sight.

later, tiny
Old 04-23-2017, 06:47 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Need to step back first before throwing new batteries at the problem. What makes you think you have drain and how much? If you do have a drain then you need to resolve that issue first.

Drains are not good, that means something is drawing power, and power equals heat and in the wrong location can lead to a fire.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Here's something to think on. You replaced the battery and assume it's fully charged. The car won't start (assume you mean crank and run). Put jumpers on it and it does till you take the jumpers off.

The only area in common you have there is between the bolts on the battery cables and the battery. Here's a quick test you can try (assuming the cable to battery bolts are snug): slip a thin washer (preferably copper) between the cable and the battery terminal one side at a time and try it. If it now works, you're not making a good contact with that cable end and the battery. I've seen a battery that (I suspect) the contact on one post was recessed a little and the cable didn't make a good contact. If that's the case you have three viable options: replace the battery, sand that ridge on the back of the cable so the mounting surface goes further towards the battery or try another cable.

Last edited by hcbph; 04-23-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 new battery will not start

Quick Reply: 92 new battery will not start