C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

oil filter adapter still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 PM
skidball
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Default oil filter adapter still leaking

OMG,
Why... LMAO ! This is going on the third time. I'm gonna be a raging alcoholic by the time this thing is fixed. First time it was leaking. Took it apart and found no gasket what so ever. Ok. Replaced with something like a felpro gasket and new o ring . Leaked out the bolts ? Ok. Took it apart again thinking jacked up gasket, or loose bolts ? Put new gasket and o ring and tightened down bolts with hex socket wrench, even pressure, with my neighbors help , and tightened down until complete physical and mental exhaustion over come me , and they had to pull me from under the car kicking and screaming . lol. And ..... It's leaking again. Not from the oil filter. But, the bolts , again. Yes I don't know ? Do I need to get a gasket from the dealer , or maybe some washers to keep the bolts from bottoming out ? Signed Walt's liver, please send help.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

help us out here - what year? are we talking the oil cooler or filter adapter used on the L98 engine? if so, this may help -

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html

Last edited by Joe C; 04-25-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:50 PM
skidball
Instructor

92lt1
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, either add a couple of washers or trim the bolts a little. I think I used two washers on each bolt.
The following users liked this post:
skidball (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by skidball
92lt1
I've never used anything but the OE/GM gasket and o-ring, everyone I know uses the OE/GM. I've never owned an LT1 but friends have had full-size cars with the same configuration. A friend serviced a bunch of TAXI and never used anything but OE/GM.

I had never heard of a problem until I saw it here in the C4 section. I didn't get here until '03 or so. I believe that I've done none since maybe '05 or so.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LTxDave
Yes, either add a couple of washers or trim the bolts a little. I think I used two washers on each bolt.
I seem to recall that folks were saying the new gaskets were thinner and the bolts were bottoming out. I also used washers when I did mine a few years back.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I tried using the gasket that came in the gasket kit from RockAuto. Thought it was metal it was so thin and that sucker leaked within 1000 miles of usage. Pulled it apart and made my own gasket from some 1/8 gasket material I had. Has not leaked since and over 30,000 miles to date.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I remember spending several hours one chilly evening removing what was left of the OE paper gasket from the oil filter mount (it was stuck to the engine block). By the time I got it all off - my arms felt like they were made of lead, and the amount of profanity that I had used would have probably offended a longshoreman.

As other posts have said - a thin washer under each bolt head is probably a good idea, and I suppose it couldn't hurt to put a little pipe sealant on the bolt threads (although this really shouldn't be necessary) - but make absolutely, positively sure you get all the old gasket material off (both the block and the adapter) - or there is no way in the world that you are going to get a leak free seal !!!

In retrospect - I should probably have used a die grinder with a scotchbrite wheel to remove the old gasket remnants rather than a razor blade -but I don't think I owned one of those back in the day..
The following users liked this post:
skidball (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 PM
skidball
Instructor

Hello,
I went with two washers . Time will tell. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To oil filter adapter still leaking

Quick Reply: oil filter adapter still leaking