C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 corvette no crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Dodgeturbpo
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 1988 corvette no crank

Replaced VATS by pass couple years ago still had no crank issues at times. Wait couple hours and starts. Cleaned all connections and replaced starter last week. Had same problem yesterday. After 2 hours started right up. Have read about vats starter relay cut and splice in back of information area. Does this work,about at the point of getting rid of car. Any information on what to do would be great.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeturbpo
Replaced VATS by pass couple years ago still had no crank issues at times. Wait couple hours and starts. Cleaned all connections and replaced starter last week. Had same problem yesterday. After 2 hours started right up. Have read about vats starter relay cut and splice in back of information area. Does this work,about at the point of getting rid of car. Any information on what to do would be great.

I do believe you need to post this in the C4 Tech section which is next door. This is C5 Tech.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a little help. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...erformance-48/
Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the neutral safety switch. I had an intermittent cranking problem on an automatic and the switch had a bad connection. Every so often I would turn the key and nothing. 20 minutes later it would start.
The following users liked this post:
Dodgeturbpo (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeturbpo
Mention if this car is an A4 or a MT - maybe also how you accomplished the by-pass.

Was it a simple "resistor added" a purchased package from a vendor? Which vendor if a package purchase.

If the VATS by-pass still presented issues after the install (it seems you mention yes) then I guess you're back to starting over. Find out what the issue actually was originally maybe!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-30-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Dodgeturbpo
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Mention if this car is an A4 or a MT - maybe also how you accomplished the by-pass.

Was it a simple "resistor added" a purchased package from a vendor? Which vendor if a package purchase.

If the VATS by-pass still presented issues after the install (it seems you mention yes) then I guess you're back to starting over. Find out what the issue actually was originally maybe!
C-4. Don't know how to get to C-4 page. Addled a bypass from corvette central, new starter, car will not start in neutral eather. Don't know where to go to from here. Wait couple hrs and starts.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

One other thing to consider is the starter enable relay behind the info display. Mine went bad in my '87 and had the same symptoms. Drove me crazy for a couple weeks. I bypassed it, no more problems.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Crash594
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that a bad knock sensor can also cause issues. I may be wrong but if another member recalls more about it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 corvette no crank

Quick Reply: 1988 corvette no crank