C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

F45 Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:51 PM
djpink889
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default F45 Shock Replacement

Howdy All,

I'm looking at replacing the front and rear shocks on my '96 w/F45 adjustable suspension. The rear shock bushings are starting to wear out. I searched out some of the threads on here and have seen many who swapped out "regular" shocks. I know there are no factory replacements out there and the ones that are available cost more than I would ever care to spend. I'm also aware of the sensor/light issues and will just seal up the plugs and pull out the bulb.

My question is - for which suspension system do I order shocks? Looking at a catalog I see a few options for '96: Bilstein lists Z51 and HD suspensions. KYB & Monroe list only one set for the 96 models. Delco has Soft Ride and FE3 Sport Susp.

Are all the shock lengths the same, and thus interchangeable? The difference being stiffness of each? I don't plan on taking it to a track. I want to drive it daily during the summer on the highway and also like to find some nice twisty roads.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Bilstein Z51 is for lowered car. On the glove box door will have SPID label with RPO codes. FE1 soft ride and Z51 sport suspension a F45 car can have either.

Quick Reply: F45 Shock Replacement