C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Continuous False Knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Continuous False Knock

Hello,

I'm working on a 1990 Corvette with a rebuilt L98 with all the bolt on's. I recently began tuning the vehicle to work with the mods using Moates and Tunerpro RT. During the course of my WOT tuning my knock counts went up significantly. As I reduced timing almost 15 degrees (progressively) the engine lost power and actually began to ping for real. At first I was convinced it was real knock, but after a few weeks of trying to figure this out I decided to bring all the timing back. Knock counts continued to rise and the car pulls timing between 5 degrees and 7 degrees, but the pinging noise subsided and power came back. Here's the current dilemma; No matter what I do, the car pulls at least 5 degrees. If I rev it, knock count goes up and it pulls timing. Part throttle to full throttle, car pulls 7 degrees. Its clearly false knock but I have no idea what could be causing the problem or how to fix it. I removed the knock sensor..... revved the engine.... and got false knock! How is this possible?

Dan
Old 05-03-2017, 11:15 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

esc

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/725579-knock-sensor-and-electronic-spark-control-module-88-a.html

Quick Reply: Continuous False Knock