C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'85 Gauge Cluster freak-out after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM
NitroNihon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Gauge Cluster freak-out after car wash

Greetings, everyone.

I just got home from washing my car for the first time since purchasing it. Made use of one of those self-service wash zones at my local gas station.

The issue is that very shortly after I pulled away, some of my instruments began to freak out like they were being shorted. My commute home was five minutes, and during that time, I saw that it wasn't always freaking out. Near the end of my short journey, there would only be small flickers every few second or so, particularly when I was stopped. In fact, it pretty much had ceased to be an issue entirely by the time I turned my car off.

What I'm wondering is what on earth could I have possible gotten wet to cause this sort of thing?? I checked the fuse panel and that was completely dry, and the engine itself looked dry as well.

Note that this car has sat out and been driven in the rain before many times, so I do not believe that it could be as simple as "don't get your car wet".

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: '85 Gauge Cluster freak-out after car wash