C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Hjhvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust

I have a stock c4 and am thinking about changing the exhaust system. Anyone have any recommendations or experience doing this? Thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Sid.123
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hjhvette
I have a stock c4 and am thinking about changing the exhaust system. Anyone have any recommendations or experience doing this? Thanks
I've heard the best is a corsa exhaust although I've never seen one myself, supposed to sound good with good gas flow... I'm looking at changing my stock exhaust as well...

Last edited by Sid.123; 05-22-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you decided what you want in an "exhaust system"? Do you mean just main mufflers, or everything from the heads to the tips? Cat-back?
Manifold-back?

Check out all the Corvette vendor's catalogs. You'll find something that will appeal to you and your wallet.
Just keep in mind: As in all things, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by rocco16; 05-22-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

What year is the car?

When I had L98 car, I tried a few different systems and they all droned and resonated the interior.

I ended up putting a stock LT1 exhaust on it and loved it. This was a 500hp supercharged car.

-- Joe
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

For what purpose? Better flow to make more power? Probably should do LT headers. Does it need to last? If so, when do you drive it? I drive sometimes in the winter when there is now snow so I prefer a SS exhaust. How long are you keeping the car? If not long, why bother? Do you need the rice effect or is it power you are looking for? How much power to be happy? How much to spend?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Sid.123
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So many question, so little time.....😂😂😂😂
Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
For what purpose? Better flow to make more power? Probably should do LT headers. Does it need to last? If so, when do you drive it? I drive sometimes in the winter when there is now snow so I prefer a SS exhaust. How long are you keeping the car? If not long, why bother? Do you need the rice effect or is it power you are looking for? How much power to be happy? How much to spend?
^ exactly this. You will get better recommendations if you say what you are looking for. Be specific about your goals and your budget.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Hjhvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rocco16
Have you decided what you want in an "exhaust system"? Do you mean just main mufflers, or everything from the heads to the tips? Cat-back?
Manifold-back?

Check out all the Corvette vendor's catalogs. You'll find something that will appeal to you and your wallet.
Just keep in mind: As in all things, you get what you pay for.
I was thinking cat back or mufflers
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Hjhvette
Intermediate

The car is a 1986 and I have had it a while and intend to keep it. I was looking for a different sound and possible a little more power. I only drive it in warmer weather. Given how I often I drive it, I was looking to keep the spend down......maybe under a grand.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The car is a 1986 and I have had it a while and intend to keep it. I was looking for a different sound and possible a little more power. I only drive it in warmer weather. Given how I often I drive it, I was looking to keep the spend down......maybe under a grand.
Fair enough. Unfortunately, for a grand, I honestly think you will be better off with a good set of LT headers, power wise than mufflers. I think your choke point is further up than the mufflers. Sound, hard to say what you like or don't. For me, I want quiet so the Borla I got sometimes pisses me off.
The following users liked this post:
Hjhvette (05-22-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Fair enough. Unfortunately, for a grand, I honestly think you will be better off with a good set of LT headers, power wise than mufflers. I think your choke point is further up than the mufflers. Sound, hard to say what you like or don't. For me, I want quiet so the Borla I got sometimes pisses me off.
LT headers with 128 heads and factory cam?

If he's looking for a tone change, swap out the mufflers.

I don't think he's going to get much of a performance increase in anything he does exhaust wise. It's a tired, low performance L98.

-- Joe
Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by anesthes
I don't think he's going to get much of a performance increase in anything he does exhaust wise. It's a tired, low performance L98.
You may be right unless he is laying the foundation for something bigger
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

86 could have iron 624 heads or 128 heads.

If you only want sound, go ahead with the catback. Keep in mind that you will probably spend a little more than 1K for any of them worth having. You would be best off by replacing the main cat as well with a Catco or RandomTech, which will cost another $250 or so, as with age yours has likely clogged up. Doing that will probably free up about 10hp as all of the L98s exhaust is pretty restrictive.

Headers would be a fine choice but I see no reason to do them first for what you say you want out of it. Do the catback and see if you are happy with it. If you want more sound than that go with TPiS headers, but with headers + catback, be prepared for resonance.

Most catbacks only vary in sound, not power gains, so pick based on what growl you want. B&B/Borla are fairly loud and will resonate, a Corsa set would only be loud when you stand on it, others fall in between.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You may be right unless he is laying the foundation for something bigger
Sounds like he wants to spend a grand, and make it sound better. He didn't leave me with the impression that he wanted to spend a lot of money on an engine build or anything.

-- Joe
Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes

-- Joe
Awe come on. That ain't true. That it's a "low po L98" means that it's low hanging fruit! My first car '83 Trans Am w/an LG4 (145 hp) I put a cam in that thing...at 180,000 miles. Is there a lower, po'er, tireder engine than a 180k LG4? The cam swap ONLY resulted in a full, 1 second drop in 1/4 mile times.

Low hanging fruit. I think the LT1 take-off exhaust is a great suggestion. Cheap, and should net some gains.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 PM
garyc4
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently replaced my 84 exhaust, cat-back. I went low dollar as a place holder, and bought the Walker y-pipe with a cross-pipe in back of the diff, and stock mufflers with one functioning outlet (the other has a small opening for resonance control), as I believe it was stock. I also punched out the catalytic converter. I am good with the sound, but I dont care for the way the exhaust y-pipe looks from the rear. It looks lower than what I'd like, and the cross-pipe exaggerates this issue. Because the y pipe is one piece and the mufflers are also one piece with the inlet pipe welded in place, there is little ability to adjust fit.

I will go a different route next time. BB for example, provides its C4 exhaust in several pieces, and now I understand why. A lot of adjustability. Also their mufflers/tips fit my eye and sound nice without being obnoxious. My preference.

Just my own experience/opinion, for what its worth.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Probably a dumb question but you pic the LT1 headers up used correct???

Do the LT's bolt right up to the L98 in my 1990 base?

Wade

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket exhaust

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust