C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vent/Bi-level/defrost

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:00 PM
OVRPWRD
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Vent/Bi-level/defrost

86 with manual slide Climate controls
It does switch from hot to cold, but it is stuck in between all three (vent defrost and down by the feet). I have air coming out of all three. I checked vacuum at the motor (near front of distributor) and on the interior and I do have vacuum but I did not put a gauge on it. (No access to one)
I pulled the dash pad out and Radio/heater controls... when I looked through the vent and switch it from vent to defrost I can see the flap start to move but does not go all the way. I can push it manually, but just goes back to the middle.
My question is... is it possible I do not have enough vacuum or is there something mechanical wrong inside the dash like an actuator or blend doors?
it looks like one plastic line goes from the t fitting at back of manifold, inside the harness and into the car. At some point, it looks like it tees into 2 black lines

Last edited by OVRPWRD; 05-23-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by OVRPWRD
I looked through the vent and switch it from vent to defrost I can see the flap start to move but does not go all the way. I can push it manually, but just goes back to the middle.
My question is... is it possible I do not have enough vacuum or is there something mechanical wrong inside the dash like an actuator or blend doors?
Couple of things.... I'd start by "snipping" a 1/4 inch off the end of your vacuum hose. It could have gotten brittle and cracked and will not hold. A fresh grip may make a difference. Make sure you do it at both ends. Hell, do em all while you are snipping.

This also means tracing your hose all the way back to the engine tee; if you don't have good vacuum off the engine and hoses, none of your flaps will open properly.

Your vacuum canister could be going bad or have a torn membrane. Could be but probably not. Grab hold of the flapper and move it back and forth to free it up and make sure you have freedom of movement.

You need a vacuum gauge. It is a super handy tool.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 05-23-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:05 PM
OVRPWRD
Instructor

I have strong vacuum at the T. I traced it to the firewall where it is behind the distributor but can't get to it because it is too tight and it goes into the wire loom. I found what I think is the line inside the car, passenger foot well, but it is a double plastic line???
does it t-off into 2 separate lines in the wire loom or do I not have the right line??
And only one of the 2 lines has vacuum, and it seems very weak .
Going to get a vac gauge and start checking.
Kind of annoying, everything works on this car, just converted the AC to 134a, but I want the vents to work properly too.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by OVRPWRD
I have strong vacuum at the T. I traced it to the firewall where it is behind the distributor but can't get to it because it is too tight and it goes into the wire loom. I found what I think is the line inside the car, passenger foot well, but it is a double plastic line???
does it t-off into 2 separate lines in the wire loom or do I not have the right line??
And only one of the 2 lines has vacuum, and it seems very weak .
Going to get a vac gauge and start checking.
Kind of annoying, everything works on this car, just converted the AC to 134a, but I want the vents to work properly too.
With C60 manual AC it sounds as if the "select rotary" switch has failed or the vacuum valve on the AC control. Do you have the FSM for the car? C60 diagnostics are pretty straight forward. Select rotary is cheap and readily available. The vacuum valve not going to be as easy.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:07 PM
OVRPWRD
Instructor

Update:
Found a small crack in the black line in passenger footwell area. All good now, ice cold AC!!

Get notified of new replies

To Vent/Bi-level/defrost

Quick Reply: Vent/Bi-level/defrost