C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default MAF question

I'm having a bit of trouble with a code 36 which I know every other person with a C4 has had the same problem. I think I know where mine is coming from though. Recently I ordered a new maf, when it came in it was identical on the outside but the inner was completely different. I have reason to believe this maf is a newer model that does not have a burnoff circuit in it. My '85 has the 165 ecm and the maf I ordered was supposed to be for an '86. My tuner says he can tune out the code 36 but I am concerned that this wrong maf will never work right in my car. Does anyone know anything about this? FWIW I have put new relays in just to be sure they weren't the problem, all wiring has been traced and tested for continuity and it all is correct.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So turn off the code 36 and let your tuner do his thing. If the car drives and performs to your expectations - wha la - you are done ! If you and/or your tuner are unhappy take a look at my MAF solution !!! greg
Old 05-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I am completely willing to let the tuner "do his thing" but I want to know if the maf I have is going to work like it should. I can't help but think I should just get the right maf.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I am completely willing to let the tuner "do his thing" but I want to know if the maf I have is going to work like it should. I can't help but think I should just get the right maf.
Yes
Buy a new MAF the 85 is a one year only, however the 88 MAF will work.
Be careful where you buy the MAF from, some are selling some copy that looks the same outside but not inside.
See pictures below, I finally got the correct one from Ecklers after the one from corvette central did not work.

Corvette central crap copy ....

Name:  20170428_203338_zpstdjvyx7v.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  176.1 KB

What my old one (that was still working) looks like...

Name:  20160921_181031_zpsti3ddgwc.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  195.1 KB

Last edited by gerardvg; 05-30-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
If he would be "retuning" the complete fueling tables -- along with getting rid of the code -- then he probably knows what he's doing. I remember a thread at C4Guru several years ago where one of our members had bought a replacement MAF only to find it's electrical "response" was significantly different from stock. IIRC, so much so that retuning was necessary.

You'd THINK remans would be easy enough to get close...considering the 15% "fudge factor" our ECMs can correct...though 85 is definitely the earliest, most finicky generation.

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to find a salvage MAF rather than take a chance. Unless I'd just "built" a motor and needing complete refueling anyway.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Is tuning the only way to nuke code 36?

Can't believe these things don't have a working replacement, just doesn't make sense. Now hearing typical replacements don't even measure remotely the same.....
Save
Old 05-30-2017, 11:23 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

​​​​​replacement maf will work fine, no need to program a chip. I am running a blower through my maf and the car runs great, did not need a special chip for it to work fine.

The maf error code should be left alone, if its high or low volts causing a code its a major problem.

Been running a blower for around 10 years, have never seen a maf code.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

This thread has a lot of info on code 36:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-36-help.html
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by gerardvg
The maf error code should be left alone, if its high or low volts causing a code its a major problem.
The big problem with leaving code 36 is the SOS light stays on, can't see other codes. Is there a method to ignore only the burn?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:54 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Yes
Buy a new MAF the 85 is a one year only, however the 88 MAF will work.
Be careful where you buy the MAF from, some are selling some copy that looks the same outside but not inside.
See pictures below, I finally got the correct one from Ecklers after the one from corvette central did not work.

Corvette central crap copy ....

What my old one (that was still working) looks like...

The one I have now is even different inside from your top picture, the bottom picture is the style I have coming. The original maf died many years ago and I replaced it with an '88 version which is what Gordon Killebrew suggested. It was fine until last year when I accidentally dropped it. It was broken internally so I ordered another one and that is the one I have now. I have had the same tune for a couple years so I know the tune is as close to perfect as it can get. How I ended up with this design maf is beyond me and the only reason I accepted it was because on the outside it is identical so I thought it was okay. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
The 85 uses a one year only MAF, one year only ECM, and one year only burn-off module. These three components work together, and IIRC, there is no Code 36 in an 85.

In 86 the ECM changes to the venerable 165, which is what the OP indicates he has. The 165-controlled MAF system has a burn-off relay (not a module), and a different MAF.

So I'm a little confused by the OP asking about sourcing a "1985 MAF". I understand that the current replacement doesn't look like the one he took out, but a MAF that will work on an unaltered 1985 should not work on a 1985 that has been updated to the 165 ECM and burn-off system.

If the OP is uncertain as to what MAF he needs, or is uneasy about how it will run, I feel he should refer to his tuner's opinion and input. Especially if this tuner did the conversion to the 165 system. Let the guy that did it, fix it.
My response above will answer any concerns you brought up, as I stated, I have run the same tune for some time and until I got the different design maf all was well. I fail to see why I should mess with the tune when all I needed to know was if I should get a maf like the one I used to have or let the tuner change the tune and possibly still have a problem with the maf I have. I am getting a new, correct maf today so I will put it in and drive it a while and report back on how it runs. If it does what I think it is going to do then I feel pictures of incorrect maf designs should be posted as a sticky so others can avoid what I have been through. To answer your last statement, I did the ecm upgrade myself then my tuner nailed the tune on the second burn.

Get notified of new replies

To MAF question

Quick Reply: MAF question