C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights

Hi,
I have an 85, when I open the doors the interior lights come on as normal
when I close the door the lights stay on, I had to disconnect the battery to shut them off.
Does anyone know what it could be?
Please help.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2017, 02:42 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default Lights on, Lights off....

I had a similar problem in my 1988 C4. It turned out to be a defective door light switch. I had to replace it to resolve it. You might try to disconnect the door switches to see if it helps in your case. My car is a coupe and it has a third door switch on the back window, if the window is open then the light is on.

Some Corvettes had digital timers that kept the lights on after you leave the car. They fail often I understand but I have no experience.

One last thing, I switched all my interior lights to L.E.D.s. What a difference, no more heat melting lenses and they draw virtually no power. One bulb near the door uses a bulb that pulled roughly .6 amps and the LED draws .033 amps in the same application with whiter light and more of it. You get the same or more light for a fraction of the power.

I hope that this might be of some help to you. Good luck on your project and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:05 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Default interior lights

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
I had a similar problem in my 1988 C4. It turned out to be a defective door light switch. I had to replace it to resolve it. You might try to disconnect the door switches to see if it helps in your case. My car is a coupe and it has a third door switch on the back window, if the window is open then the light is on.

Some Corvettes had digital timers that kept the lights on after you leave the car. They fail often I understand but I have no experience.

One last thing, I switched all my interior lights to L.E.D.s. What a difference, no more heat melting lenses and they draw virtually no power. One bulb near the door uses a bulb that pulled roughly .6 amps and the LED draws .033 amps in the same application with whiter light and more of it. You get the same or more light for a fraction of the power.

I hope that this might be of some help to you. Good luck on your project and let us know how it goes!
Thanks, I ordered a door light switch and see if that solves the problem
where did you find the LED interior lights, I'd like to change mine also
Old 06-11-2017, 03:06 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

[QUOTE=ctmccloskey;1594923893]

QUOTE]

This is exactly where I would start. It is pretty uncommon that both doors fail at the same time. The timers are notorious for failing. Easy day.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM
dms0309
Advanced

Default interior lights

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey

I replaced the drivers side door light switch and that solved the problem. I will probably do the passenger door also.

Can you give any info on the LED lights, did you find them as a kit or did you buy them individually and where did you find them

thanks again for your help.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

You can adjust the switches. Pull the center plunger out and it will adjust the next time you close the door.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (06-12-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by dms0309
Hi,
I have an 85, when I open the doors the interior lights come on as normal
when I close the door the lights stay on, I had to disconnect the battery to shut them off.
Does anyone know what it could be?
Please help.
Thanks
Hi
Do the lights go off with ignition switched on? anyway the interior delay timer usually fails, bring it to your local electronics shop and buy a couple of new transistors. (What the heat sink is secured to)
They are cheap and can easily be replaced.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:21 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

On the posters 85 and my 86 and some of the later ones, there's a interior light delay relay that's in the dash. If you leave the door open and it's powered, it will apparently burn up over time. Mine is gone and one of these days I'll need to replace it.

Just FYI in case to save you some headaches.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by dms0309
Can you give any info on the LED lights, did you find them as a kit or did you buy them individually and where did you find them

thanks again for your help.

I swapped to LEDs on my 92. Not sure all the bulbs are the same. When I get home I'll post up part numbers and picks of the bulbs I used.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

These are the bulbs I used. Below each picture is a link to the amazon page I got them from.

This bulb works for the footwell courtesy light and underhood

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0164IM6T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0164IM6T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This bulb works for the light above the door handle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGQT9HK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGQT9HK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this bulb works for the cargo courtesy lights

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NGDAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NGDAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This bulb works for the reading lights in the mirror (note that using LEDs here means deciding if you want them to light when the door is opened or when the switch on the mirror is on. Can't have it both ways)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D59XB6/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3008539542&pf_rd_r=MSQYG4AH8JQ5WJH31GJJ&pd_rd_wg=E5g8S&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=0Wmek&pf_rd_i=168+led&pd_rd_r=T42HSAT6VQ9MS0KKYND0&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D59XB6/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3008539542&pf_rd_r=MSQYG4AH8JQ5WJH31GJJ&pd_rd_wg=E5g8S&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=0Wmek&pf_rd_i=168+led&pd_rd_r=T42HSAT6VQ9MS0KKYND0&psc=1

To put the bulbs in the mirror you have to remove the lens and insert that way it will not go through the hole in the reflector from the back like the incandescent bulb
Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Default The L.E.D. bulbs

Hello again,
I found a good selection locally at the Advance Auto and Pep Boys. I bought mine individually using a list of what was installed my car from my manual.
There are a lot on Amazon but "buyer beware", there are some real junk Lights out there. There are some that have a bunch of little L.E.D.s that are very bright.

At this point I am using a fraction of power compared to what the original light bulbs used. Be careful with your tail lights and turn signal light as sometimes the flashers won't work properly. There are devices that can solve the flashing rate issues with LED bulbs and they are inexpensive and readily available

I have been using L.E.D. bulbs on my motorcycle (1984, 2-stroke RZ 350) for years and they are great, they are bright, reliable and when you have a small battery and a low power alternator it makes a huge difference. In my 1968 Corvette they worked out great and now I am waiting till I can afford BRIGHT L.E.D. headlights for both of my Corvettes!

Save electricity but BURN that gasoline!!

Get notified of new replies

To interior lights

Quick Reply: interior lights